PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing out satin poly

Alan Tolchinsky
02-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi All, Do you rub out the final coat of wipe on satin poly? I usually use gloss poly and rub out with 0000 steel wool/wax. Do you do the same with satin? What's you method of smoothing wipe on poly to eliminate dust nibs and other imperfections? Thanks Alan

Doug Shepard
02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
I've been using auto rubbing compound for the final rubout on wipe on poly. Assuming you dont have embedded gunk in earlier coats, it leaves a glass smooth surface. As far as smoothing it to avoid dust nibs I usually use between 320 and 600 grit wetdry paper every other coat. The wipeon is pretty thin, so unless I really feel a problem, I'm reluctant to do it after every coat. My choice of which grit paper depends on how much of a problem I can feel. Less or no problems mean I go with 600.

Donnie Raines
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Poly is not the finish I use that often these days. But this will apply to almost all film finishes. I use scotch brite pads with Behlens wool lube. It lowers the friction build up and leaves a very smooooooth finish. I don't like useing paste wax and I don't need to with this application. If you are looking for a little more shine, try out rotten stone and wool lube. Talk about glossy and smooth...

lou sansone
02-18-2005, 12:31 PM
another substitute for wool-lube is murphy's oil soap...