PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy website

Chuck Wintle
07-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know how to do a family tree on a website? Is there software that will make the job possible?
thx,
chuck

Eddie Watkins
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
ancestry.com is a good website. You can pay for a membership there or you can buy the software from them to load on your own computer. Ther is also one called familysearch.org which is provided by the Mormon church. Both allow you to create your tree and store it on their website.

Myk Rian
07-30-2011, 1:25 PM
My sister has been doing ours for years. We started at the Mormon church with PAF software. She has a membership at ancestry.com now. She has traced us back to WAY before the Pilgrims, and even on one of the ships through John Wing being a passenger.

Jon Knauft
07-30-2011, 5:02 PM
My wife was a professional genealogist back before kids. She used Reunion but I seem to remember that it was for Macs only.

Roger Myers
07-31-2011, 8:38 AM
I have tremendous praise for ancestry.com especialy if you are looking to do research. I signed up and paid for the full useage... Two years ago, It enabled me to find a sister I had been searching for for over 40 years as well as discover and meet two younger sisters that I had never met (10 children in total, all were rescued/adopted when we were just toddlers). My life and my family has grown so much. We have all been so blessed.

Now, as to functionality...it is a great research and archival tool and you can certainly make the family trees with it.

Bill Edwards(2)
08-01-2011, 7:08 AM
If you want to do your own thing, so to speak,

This software is very inexpensive and lots of function:

http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

ancestry.com is a great site, but they do want your money.

Chuck Wintle
08-01-2011, 7:18 AM
If you want to do your own thing, so to speak,

This software is very inexpensive and lots of function:

http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

ancestry.com is a great site, but they do want your money.
Bill,

Yes. ancestry.com is quite expensive as i found out so that does not work for me. But the software link looks interesting....i will check it out. thanks. chuck

Brian Vaughn
08-01-2011, 7:53 AM
If you just want to put together the tree, you can do that on Ancestry.com for free. It's when you want to start doing research that they start asking for the money. That being said, sometimes you get lucky and find other people who have same ancestors who have traced your lineage back in their own trees...I did that, and found a tree coming from a great grandfather that went back to the 1300's. And royalty....

Charlie Reals
08-01-2011, 8:46 AM
I use Family tree maker software which is from anc.com. I no longer have the subscriptions to anc. as they are expensive and a lot of the info is available elsewhere.
I got lucky as Brian did and within 3 months of starting I had met two people online who are related and had the tree done on their side. Researching my side was a lot easier with their info. No royalty here butt my ancestors came as indentured servants to the Brits in 1709. They ended up in the Mohawk valley and were even mentioned in "drums along the Mohawk" by JF cooper. He did his research for the novel.

I found a document from the late 1700's where my folks were referred to as "those damned Germans in the valley, they drink too much beer and the old men take too young a wife."
Sounds like good stock to me:D:D.
Genealogy is fun and can sure shake some skeletons ha ha

Howard Garner
08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Look at Brother's Keeper
<http://www.bkwin.org/>
Good shareware product.
I started using it 20 years ago and it is still up to date.
Anc3esstory.com can save you going the various archives to look at census microfilm and other government items they have scanned.
I did most of mine before all the on-line help was available.

You still can benefit from local research - that was the only way I found my grandfather was in court of fighting with a neighbor

Howard Garner