PDA

View Full Version : Question for Vicmarc VL300 owners

Jack Gaskins
07-30-2011, 9:14 AM
What is the difference between the Craft Supplies version and the imported version sold by others? The Craft supplies verision VL300 long bed is only $1000 more than the Powermatic 350b and it has the 3 hp motor and large swing and is a little heavier so I am seriously wanting to find someone who has a VL300 in my area so I can try it out so I can make up my mind on either the PM or VICmarc. Just was wondering why the price difference between the vl300 sold by craft supplies and the vl300 sold by a few others here in the states????

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 9:43 AM
Jack,

If I were you, I would call up Craft supplies and speak with a technical support guy. Since they sell both lathes, and are very familiar with both, you can get the straight info on it.

I do know that the Vicmarc has Leeson motors, and can get service anywhere in the USA from what I have read. I think the quality is there with the Vicmarc, and of course the 3520b is a Chinese machine, although a quality machine as well from most everyone's experience.

Raffan and a number of other professionals use the Vicmarc, and I guess that says something positive about it.

Alan Trout
07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Jack,

The difference is that Craft Supplies version they buy the bare lathe. Build their own design stand and the use a Leeson 3hp motor with ABB drive. Also the Cafts Supplies uses standard 1" tool post where the Vicmarc version uses a 30MM post. The Vicmarc version has a knee bar as an emergency shut off. For my needs the Craft Supplies version would suit me just fine and when I get enough money saved I will probably buy a Long Bed version for my big lathe. I personally feel it is a best buy in a large lathe. There are those that think the Vicmarc version is superior because everything was designed by Vicmarc. However I am not in that camp they are just different styles of stand. The one feature on the Vicmarc's version I do like that the stand has adjustable height.

Good Luck

Alan

philip labre
07-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Jack, I know you didn't ask about it, but if you are considering stepping up into the $5000 range, have you looked at the Robust Sweet 16. It's a very versatile design and reputable company in Wisconsin. You could save the freight and take a ride to pick it up. I have a 3520B and if I ever upgrade it will be to a Robust.

John Fabre
07-30-2011, 3:07 PM
Craft Supplies version of the VL300 comes as a bare bones lathe, even without the motor. You add what you want, stand, the motor even a remote switch. When I was looking at buying a new lathe last year the VL300 was highly looked at down at Craft Supplies, 50 mins away. The CS stand is made here in the USA to keep costs down as where the VL300 stand is made overseas.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-30-2011, 3:23 PM
Jack,
I like having the ability to move the head to the tail stock end for hollowing. I considered the VL300 but the stationary head stock steered me away. That didn't really answer the question you asked but I had 2 extra cents so I stuck them in.
faust

Jack Gaskins
07-30-2011, 4:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. If it is just the stand and the emergency bar then I could live without those. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and I dont really need a stand I can adjust up and down. The vicmarc looks like a boring lathe but it has a superior reputation in the reliability department and the weight is good and the 3 hp motor is just perfect and instead of sliding the head stock you can turn on the outboard side of the headstock. One of the things I am curious about is the angled bearings on the vl300 vs the bearings on the powermatic. I am assuming since the vl300s are sought after for production work they use quality bearings. I have read several post on the 3520b bearings bad on delivery or going bad within 3 years of owning that lathe. ?

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 4:04 PM
TI have read several post on the 3520b bearings bad on delivery or going bad within 3 years of owning that lathe. ?

Jack,

I have read the same things.........a number of turners have had to replace bearings on the 3520b............

Alan Trout
07-30-2011, 6:10 PM
IMHO they have some of the best bearings on the market. They use tapered roller bearing set with pre-load. They can take an incredible about of load. I do mostly hollowing with a captive rig so a moveable head stock is not an issue for me. Also the headstock is very slender which is an advantage. The lathe in my opinion is better compared to a Oneway 2436. as they both have fixed headstocks and comparable capacities. Over I think it is a very good value.

Alan

Paulo Marin
07-30-2011, 9:01 PM
Alan is right on his descriptions. I have owned the Craft Supplies version and was very unhappy with the stand. It extends out too much. Craft supplies has the base manufactured here. I have also owned the Vicmarc version from Australia and it is a completely different in my opinion. I found it to be a fantastic lathe. I also owned a Powermatic and I really like the lathe. For the price it is a great machine. I would buy a Powermatic again!

Dave Mueller
08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Jack,
I bought a VL300 long bed without the base and am really pleased with the lathe and purchase. All of the comments above are correct about the Craft Supply lathe, which is why I bought mine from Woodworkers Emporium. They exhibit at AAW, SWAT and possibly a couple of other shows. Christien, the owner, is also a turner and generraly gives a 10% discount for delivery at the show. I bought mine at SWAT, saved shipping in addition to the 10%. You can order the spindle with a US thread and get a 30 mm to 1" adapter for the banjo's tool post. With these savings my total cost was around $3K, pretty good for a comparable $6K lathe.

You should also search the forum for posts by Dave Schell, who bought a VL300 short bed and chronicled the building of his stand in the thread. However, I love the long bed - just slide the tailstock out of the way - no elbows punctured by the live center.

Dave