PDA

View Full Version : Versa Vise

Andrew Gibson
07-30-2011, 8:18 AM
Hi all. I just got an email from a tool collector acquaintance, and he came across a Versa Vise. He shot me an email as he knows I have been getting into instrument making, and these vises are popular with instrument makers. He is going to send me a couple pics when he gets a chance.

Does anyone have one? Like them? find them useful? know how much they typically go for?

george wilson
07-30-2011, 10:08 AM
I have one,but have never liked it much,myself. It will sit in different positions,horizontal or vertical,but the jaws do not swivel to hold tapers. I have helped a friend convert them to swivel jaws,though. You have to saw the jaws off short and mill them flat. Then,drill and tap a hole in the middle of the flat spot you've made, large as possible. I can't recall how large I made this hole. Then,2 pieces of heavy angle iron about 4" wide are used to make the swiveling jaw plates. Drill a hole on each one,and bolt them to the stubs of the original jaws. Add wooden faces to the angle irons.

Since those "universal woodworking vises" are now made in Taiwan for about $125.00, and are a LOT stronger,I use them,plus my original German one.

For musical instrument work,the jaws need to swivel,as there are lots of tapered things,like necks to hold.

Andrew Gibson
07-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks George. I will take a look and if it is a good deal I may still pick it up. I will also let him know to keep an eye out of an Oliver or the like. I have not put much thought into vises as space has always been an issue, but if the right tool comes along, space will present itself... :)

Dave Ring
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I've had an origional Versa Vise for the last dozen years but I haven't found a reason to actually use it. It seems to be well-made (probably better than the Asian-made "Parrot Vise" knockoff that Grizzly sells for under $50). I see that origional USA-made Versa Vises fo for around $75-$100 on eBay.

Jim Matthews
07-30-2011, 6:20 PM
I'm itchin' to try one of those.

Sell me yours, Dave?

Dave Ring
07-30-2011, 8:19 PM
Check your messages.

Andrew Gibson
08-02-2011, 3:25 PM
I went ahead and picked up the Versa Vise today. I found it hard to refuse at $30. It came with all of the accessories, accept for the flush mount base for a bench...
Also while I was there I was gifted 2 Pieces of Ebony and a piece of Purpleheart. I definitely think it was worth my time to pick up this little baby.

Here are a few pics.

Mel Miller
08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I've had one for several years and use it frequently. I put a rubber facing on the jaws 1/6" thick. There are a number of different vises in the shop, and each one sees use for a variety of jobs.

Mel