PDA

View Full Version : Review of BCTW TM-1 Tenon Maker

David Nelson1
07-30-2011, 6:22 AM
I'll start this off by saying that I have been struggling with M/T joinery for few months now. My first 4 joints where terrible to say the least. I never thought to practice on scrap prior to starting on the real project. I bought, months prior to starting the bench that I'm working on now, the tenon and kerf maker from BCTW. Figured I could use them in the future and if it helped out just a bit that would be great.

My first impression of both tools was that I got jipped and man they are small, well made but small. I read the instructions and realized I need a tenon jig. Why I didn't know that before escapes me, so it went in the box with everything else I wasn't using @ the time.

Today I decided I was going to give the tenon maker a whirl since I recently got a tenon jig. I reread the direction and they started to make a bit more sense. The hype on this tool is tenons can be made with NO measurements required to set the tool. You cut a kerf in any board then crosscut the kerf.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=203410&d=1311988986)
After cross cutting, set the cut off back in place. This gives you the total kerf in an area that can be captured by the tool. Picture 4 is the gap from setting the kerf.

Next your gauge the mortise using the opposite end of the tool. For tight fitting tenons slide your finger or thumb in while you
tighten the thumb wheel. Did I mention keep the tool square. LOL The tool is now set to cut perfect tenons

Next you need to load the tenon jig. For my bench I face glued most of the rails to get thinker stock. Not all of the pieces are the same thickness so the critical dimension will be to the outside edges. No symmetrical tenons in this project. I elected to make the critical cut on the outside first. I marked up the scrap test piece to locate the first cut 1/2 back. Once you have the first cut set its time to set the jig in place using the short side. Slide the jig over till it meets the tool tighten it down and make your first cut.

David Nelson1
07-30-2011, 6:43 AM
Now flip the tool over to the long side. Adjust the tenon jig to match the tenon maker and cut your second cut.

Finish the tenon cheeks and you should have a great tenon. To be honest it took me three times to get a good fit. Critical cut is the first since it will locate the tenon in relationship to the rest of the project. There is a learning curve, but its mostly attention to detail and the need for a good lighting and eyesight, of which I have neither @ the moment.

All in all I thought this tool was a gimmick and really wouldn't be added value. After working with it this afternoon I can see I was dead wrong. I will get a lot of use from this tool in the future. I still am looking for the day I can do this without power tools but till then.....

Thanks for taking the time to read.