PDA

View Full Version : Recent work: fish club

David Brimm
07-30-2011, 1:48 AM
Nothing compared to all your guys (and gals) works of art but here's a piece I made last week. It's a fish club made for a fisherman I know who has a need for clubbing salmon. It's made of 7 pieces of black walnut and white ash . Given the short bed legnth of my Jet 10x14 I had to turn it in two pieces and then assemble when finished. I enjoyed making it, hopefully he enjoys using it!203446

Norm Zax
07-30-2011, 3:10 AM
Very pretty. Wouldnt it be better to have the clubbing area dark not to show stains? But salmon are a light fish. Something to contemplate.
Well done!

Tim Thiebaut
07-30-2011, 3:39 AM
That is one of the best looking bonkers I have seen, good job.

David Brimm
07-30-2011, 3:52 AM
Very pretty. Wouldnt it be better to have the clubbing area dark not to show stains? But salmon are a light fish. Something to contemplate.
Well done!

I thought about making the majority of the clubbing area out of walnut and the stripe of ash but then decided the ash would be more durable, though like you point out more likely to stain. I make quite a few of these, maybe next time I'll try it that way and see if the walnut is any less durable instead of just assuming.

David E Keller
07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
That's nice! I suppose you could club just about anything with it... May need to turn one of those to go under the seat in my truck!

Jim Underwood
07-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Well I doubt he'll hang it up in the den to look at... If it were my creation, I'd rather he use it. In time it'll have plenty of stains, dents, and scratches.... Call it "patina" if it makes you feel better.

Unless he hangs it up in the den to look at.

Nice looking club though.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
You will be hearing from our lawyers. Clabo and I formed "Bonkers-R-Us" years ago!:eek::rolleyes::D

Nice bonker!

Betty Fox
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Now I have seen it all. A fish bonker. I guess if you live long enough you see everything. Can you give me the dimensions on that thing? I wanna be able to say I made a fish bonker. Good looking finished piece. Too bad it's gonna be covered in fish guts.
Betty

Scott Lux
07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Betty, if you make one call it by the "elegant" name, priest. It's still a fish bonker, but you can charge more for it.

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
That is an "aquatic creature escape prevention device." Now you don't have to worry about patents and lawyers! :D:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2011, 11:38 AM
that is an "aquatic creature escape prevention device." now you don't have to worry about patents and lawyers! :d:rolleyes:

rotflol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Nuckles
07-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Do you need a food safe finish for a fish bonker (or ACEPD, as Roger called it)? Maybe only if you serve it with the head still attached? ;)

Betty Fox
07-30-2011, 4:57 PM
That is an "aquatic creature escape prevention device." Now you don't have to worry about patents and lawyers! :D:rolleyes:
Very good one. I like that.

David Brimm
07-30-2011, 6:22 PM
Do you need a food safe finish for a fish bonker (or ACEPD, as Roger called it)? Maybe only if you serve it with the head still attached? ;)

Haha, I'm not sure so just to be safe I finished it with BLO and then shellac so we should be fully food safe!

David Brimm
07-30-2011, 6:24 PM
Now I have seen it all. A fish bonker. I guess if you live long enough you see everything. Can you give me the dimensions on that thing? I wanna be able to say I made a fish bonker. Good looking finished piece. Too bad it's gonna be covered in fish guts.
Betty

Hi Betty, the dimensions are 13.5" long and 2.5" diameter at the business end, the handle ranges from about 1 inch to 1.5 inches. My scale is broken so I can't really tell you the weight but being as it's ash/walnut it's definitely heavy enough to bonk a fish.

Jim Burr
07-30-2011, 7:56 PM
That's nice! I suppose you could club just about anything with it... May need to turn one of those to go under the seat in my truck!

Ha!! I have a manhole cover hook in the back seat of my F-150!
That is really nice work David! The combination of woods goes well with anything! Remind me to stay away from were you guys fish!

David Brimm
07-30-2011, 8:47 PM
Ha!! I have a manhole cover hook in the back seat of my F-150!
That is really nice work David! The combination of woods goes well with anything! Remind me to stay away from were you guys fish!

Haha Jim we're just upstate from you and usually fish the Sacramento or Feather Rivers but you should be safe unless you put on a salmon costume, jump in the boat and start flopping around.. you do that and, well, ah, you might just get bonked. :D

Jeff Nicol
07-30-2011, 8:51 PM
David, That is a very pretty fish thumper, it should do the trick on keeping the salmon from flopping all over the boat and keep them in the cooler. It is always fun to turn a good utility piece.

Great wood combo,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
07-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Way too pretty for my boat! Nice work!

ray hampton
07-30-2011, 10:20 PM
will this club dispatch the carp that jump into your boat ?

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
That is one nice fish thumper.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2011, 11:33 PM
will this club dispatch the carp that jump into your boat ?

Yes.....it appears to be a generic bonker ....where as my original Idaho Salmon Bonker might not handle that carp. I tuned the Salmon Bonker specifically to bonk Salmon. Tuning it for salmon was long, tedious and detailed process. Please don't ask.

Rick Markham
08-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Betty, if you make one call it by the "elegant" name, priest. It's still a fish bonker, but you can charge more for it.

I've also heard them referred to as "churches"

That's the nicest bonker I have seen!

David, if you make a bonker for your truck fill it full of lead shot, that way you have a non-bouncing bonker :D

Michael James
08-01-2011, 8:23 PM

Yeah.... as a desert dweller with no big fish, we would call that a "tire checker". Very nice one.
mj