PDA

View Full Version : Onyx Powermatic 3520b Lathe

Jack Gaskins
07-29-2011, 9:51 PM
Surfing the net looking for prices on the PM 3520b and ran across the limited edition Onyx colored 3520b from Tools Plus. That black looks freakin awesome! Anyone buy one yet? Im still trying to decide between the 3520B or VL300 LB.....Black or Blue???

Roger Chandler
07-29-2011, 9:58 PM
Jack,

I kind of like that vicmarc with the 24" swing and 50" between centers..........that being said, I don't see how you could go wrong with the 3520b either.............onyx or mustard yellow!

Gary Max
07-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Service is a real Big deal--------Powermatic works great for your location.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
The Onyx looks pretty cool but aren't you afraid that it would show all the dust?

Jack Gaskins
07-29-2011, 10:28 PM
The Onyx looks pretty cool but aren't you afraid that it would show all the dust?

I never have dust in my shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,Liar Liar my pants are on fire! HA.

Jack Gaskins
07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I also ran across the Nova 2024. Why on earh would you make a light lathe with narrow bed ways with a 20" swing. Never could understand why the DVRs have narrow bed ways.

Jeff Nicol
07-29-2011, 10:35 PM
The onyx is a limited edition aniversary addition, so buy on up and put it in a show case for a few decades and then sell it for a big profit...Maybe that only works for corvettes and mustangs!

Beautiful lathe, I would get one after I win the lottery to go with the gold one!

Jeff

David E Keller
07-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Pretty cool looking lathe! I've never understood the choice of color for the PM tools. Don't get me wrong, I love my monster, but it's not my favorite color. I suppose I could paint it, but that would require cleaning it, and that's not gonna happen.

Alan Zenreich
07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Darth Mustard

Tim Thiebaut
07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Now that is a cool color! However...I have to agree, once it gets dusty, dirty, has finish on it...etc...then it wont be so pretty any more. But it is nice...of the colors that are avalible, I think I would have to go Onyx myself...

philip labre
07-30-2011, 7:52 AM
I really like the color scheme, but like the 90 month warranty even more.

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 9:04 AM
I suppose I could paint it, but that would require cleaning it, and that's not gonna happen.

David...........:eek::D:D:D:D:D The shop police are listening! :p;)

Steve Kubien
07-30-2011, 9:06 AM
The narrow bedways n the 1624 and the DVR were something of a concern for me before I bought as well. I can tell you though, they are not an issue at all. If they are for someone, that someone is doing something seriously wrong. Personally, I wouldn't trade my DVR (current model with 16" swing) for a 3520b. There are too many advantages to the DVR, for me. Now, VL300 is another story altogether.....

Jack Gaskins
07-30-2011, 4:08 PM
90 month warranty,,,,,,,,holy crap thats a long time! Wonder how much Toolnut sells them for?

Sid Matheny
07-30-2011, 7:06 PM
I've never understood the choice of color for the PM tools. Don't get me wrong, I love my monster, but it's not my favorite color.

I was working at Powermatic when they changes the color from the green that was a Powermatic icon for many, many years. The new company president decided he wanted a new color :confused:. His name was Tom Critton and all the workers hated the color and called it Critton Gold. You would have had to know him to even try to understand the change.:rolleyes:

Sid

Jack Gaskins
07-30-2011, 8:28 PM
I was working at Powermatic when they changes the color from the green that was a Powermatic icon for many, many years. The new company president decided he wanted a new color :confused:. His name was Tom Critton and all the workers hated the color and called it Critton Gold. You would have had to know him to even try to understand the change.:rolleyes:

Sid

Well it seems like it is time to get rid of the Critton Gold. My vote is for AIR FORCE BLUE! :D