PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil on Marine grade Fir for shed exterior??

Chris Yarish
07-29-2011, 7:53 PM
I have made 16 x 48" panels out of marine grade ply on my shed. I love the look of the grain and want to bring it out a bit, as well as give it a bit of protection.

Most of the deck / fence stains are tinted, and the non tinted ones don't do much for grain highlighting.

Would anyone advice for or against using Danish Oil on the panels. I know it will be pricy, but this really is more than 'just a shed'. It's a bit of an architectural piece for the backyard that coincidentally holds all my junk.

I'm open to other suggestions if you feel like offering them up.

Thanks

Scott Holmes
07-29-2011, 8:06 PM
I would advise "against". If you insist on finishing it with a clear finish there are a few options that are much better than a danish oil.

Use a high quality NON POLY marine varnish ($40+ per quart and you said Danish oil was expensive). Epifanes is probably the best. Get it at a marine suppy house. No finish is going to last more than a few years without recoating so plan on recoating every couple of years.

In Houston an over the counter, big box store, marine poly will not last a summer without failing. In Canada you may get a bit more life. The problem with poly marine varnsih is that the poly is not UV stable and it will need to be removed prior torecoating.

Chris Yarish
07-29-2011, 8:15 PM
This was the Danish Oil I had recommended to me:

http://www.liberon.co.uk/oil-finishes/superior-danish-oil-with-uv-filter,434,464.html?&args=Y29tcF9pZD0zMDQmYWN0aW9uPWZpY2hlUHJvZHVpdCZpZ D0xOTYmfA%3D%3D

I should add that the hardware for attaching the panels is exposed, so sanding or other abrasive work is essentially not viable.

John TenEyck
07-29-2011, 8:29 PM
Did you notice that the Liberon product needs to be maintained at least twice a year! Holy cow, who's going to do that. Epifanes will give you a minimum of 2 years, more likely 3 or 4 between touch ups. I've used it on several outdoor furniture projects and it's very nice stuff, but should be at $45/quart and you have to put on 7 coats initially - which takes a week. General Finishes 450 exterior product also is said to have very good durability in exterior applications, although I haven't used it.