PDA

View Full Version : Pecan Bowl

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2005, 10:28 AM
This 12.5 in. X 5.5 in. pecan bowl was from a tree blown down by the hurricane Frances. It was a very old tree as you can tell from abundance of heartwood. This bowl and others were commissioned by the owner of the tree because his children had fond memories of playing in the tree. Thank goodness they did not drive nails into it. It was dried with Dave Smith's alcohol method. Pecan is one hard wood, but it should last a long, long time. I chose to roll the lip to give it a nice feel when it is picked up, and a little different look. It has the tung oil solution finish and then buffed, as always your coments are welcomed.

Dawn Sunkle
02-18-2005, 10:33 AM
What a wonderful tribut to their memories.
I know they will just love having those bowls.

You did an awesome job.
Dawn

Jeff Sudmeier
02-18-2005, 10:47 AM
That is one nice looking bowl!

I am sure that the kids will cherrish it for their lifetime.

Michael Stafford
02-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Glenn, you always find the best in a piece of wood and this is no exception! :) You should feel honored that many folks have decided to allow you to make things of beauty and fond remembrance out of their cherished trees. :) Congratulations!

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Glenn, that is stunning. Nuf' said.:)

John Shuk
02-18-2005, 6:06 PM
Nice bowl as usual Glenn.
John

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-18-2005, 6:10 PM
All I can add is DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Gary Max
02-18-2005, 6:12 PM
I love the way it drops straight in and comes out in the roll.
As always it's a real treat to look at your work.
Thanks for sharing.

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2005, 6:17 PM
Preciate all the nice things you all say about my work. It was a rewarding experience to take this tree destined to a burn pile and make some nice bowls out of this old tree. You make me want to show you more. Thanks again for the comments.

Steve Inniss
02-18-2005, 7:20 PM
Glenn, To me one of the signs of a well executed bowl is when you see it, you just have to pick it up. That's the feeling I get from your photo.
Thanks for posting it. Great piece of pecan too. -Steve

Jerry Clark
02-18-2005, 7:36 PM
Glen I like the color and form-- The roll edge rim is different and pleasing to the eye. Grest job:)

Jim Becker
02-18-2005, 8:10 PM
That's really lovely. Great wood, turning and a nice story to it, too.