PDA

View Full Version : Delta JT360.....Can I make a custom stand???

George Farra
07-29-2011, 4:29 PM
Hi Everyone

While searching for a new power switch for this machine (different thread), I got to thinking.....I'm not a big fan of the played metal legs this puppy sits on. The dust shoot sucks as well.

Can I make my own base for this machine our of 2x and plywood similar to the enclosed base designs on more robust jointers? I could then mount an aftermarket power switch completely isolated from an saw dust that the machine creates. I can also incorporate a better dust shoot that the open stand currently provides.

Has anyone done this?? Any ideas you can share?

TIA

George

mickey cassiba
07-29-2011, 7:49 PM
The -360 can be mounted on a -275 base if you want to. That said, if you want to build a base, it shouldn't be all that hard. The DC on the -360 is phht! I received one that had dryer duct about 1/2" below the cutter head, and it was a pretty cool set up. The only thing you'll have to re-design is the motor mount...the -360 motor hangs below the dust chute. A gravity tensioned belt isn't an ideal set up, but it will work.

Tim Morton
07-29-2011, 8:00 PM
a few years ago, i bought bandsaw from redmonds, that did not include a base...so i built one out of MDF...and even got matching paint. It would be a snap to build a base...you need an opening for the dust shoot and belt, and i fed the power wire from the motor thru a hole drilled the same size as the wire, and then added the plug. if you are going to do a mobile base, you should take that into consideration before building...make sure it is sized to the mobile base. You will need to incorporate a motor mount that is adjustable, and you can find plans for that online..or i can send you a pic of what i did if you like.

Will Rowland
07-29-2011, 9:04 PM
I have a JT-360 also, and I have often thought about making an enclosed base for it, so please post anything you might come up with.

Mine is on the Delta mobile base, and if I have a lot of jointing to do, and the weather is nice, I will often roll it outside onto the concrete so I can just sweep up/blow-off the mess it makes...