View Full Version : victorian hat pin

charlie knighton
07-29-2011, 1:50 PM
11 "

teak from the USS North Carolina deck

Lionel Mercier
07-29-2011, 3:03 PM
Hello Charlie
Historical piece ? Not only because "victorian" but from the deck of BB55 ?
Is it right ? Is it the battleship North Carolina ?

charlie knighton
07-29-2011, 3:13 PM
Historical piece ? Not only because "victorian" but from the deck of BB55 ?
Is it right ? Is it the battleship North Carolina ?

Lionel,

yes, i met someone who needed hat pin, not sure what type of wood they used back then, mabye aspen?, but have been looking for some type of turning to use this teak from the battleship North Carolina

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2011, 3:52 PM
I think this is one of the first hat pins I have seen here! Pretty cool and the teak looks great! How did you get the historical wood? Seems like that would make for an interesting read!

John Keeton
07-29-2011, 3:58 PM
Charlie, I have not seen or heard of hatpins in decades!!! Nice work, and I am interested in the wood story, as well.

Richard Jones
07-29-2011, 4:30 PM
I do some laying tools for cross-stitchers, needlepoint, etc., but like John, haven't heard of a hat pin in a long time.

How did you get your hands on the wood? Was there an auction?

Thanks,

Rich

charlie knighton
07-29-2011, 5:06 PM
Lionel, Richard, Steve, & John

occasional i need some metal machined, tool rest, weights for outboard turning, etc, anyway i always go to Absolute Machine Enterprises. Randy Hopkins, one of the owners, usually personal takes care of my small orders, he does excellant work and i hardly test his skills. His daughter got the wood when they were doing some renervating the North Carolina. He has made some picture frames out of the planks and gave me some small cutoffs that he had leftover. He gave them to me with the understanding that i would make something out of them and the spirit of the North Carolina would continue. i have no paper work, but he is a sincere indivadual.

i met Sherry on st paul trip and offered to make victorian hat pin. i tried an oak doal, but settled on the teak from the North Carolina.

http://truewest.ning.com/profile/SherryMonahan

Scott Hackler
07-29-2011, 7:54 PM
Very neat usage of historical wood, Charlie.

Alan Zenreich
07-29-2011, 7:59 PM
...could serve double duty as a wizard's wand

Baxter Smith
07-29-2011, 9:51 PM
Nice job Charlie, and with a great story to go with it. My wife has made several loosely knit scarves/shawls that she has given to people and I have made some very similar looking pins/sticks to go with them. Google "shawl sticks" and you might get some other ideas.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Really nice work Charlie and using historical wood. Haven't heard of a hat pin for a long time.