PDA

View Full Version : Brick window sill re-do

Rob Nusbaum
07-29-2011, 1:13 PM
Hi all,
Hoping someone out there has some experience with brick veneer. I'm installing new windows in my house; I'm down to the last two. These are going in the part of the house that's brick veneer and I need to lower the brick sill. I knew going into it that I would have to do this, or go to a window that was too small.
Each sill is composed of 13 bricks set on edge, with another row of 13 on top of those, set at an angle so water can drain off. My current plan is to remove the top layer and cut about a 1/2" off the bottom row, then reinstall the top row as they were.
Is this the right way to do it? Or is there an easier/better way? Maybe someone with more sense would call in pro, but I'm a diehard DIY'er.:D

Thanks in advance and have a great day,
Rob

John Bunday
07-31-2011, 1:56 PM
Rob: I've been in the remodeling business for 20 years. There are two thing I don't do. Brick work and carpet. Find a good "Brickee" offer to do the grunt work for him ETC. You won't be disappointed. A cooler of Budweiser at the end of the day usually results in a fair settlement and you are still a diehard DIY

John Bunday

Matt Meiser
07-31-2011, 2:02 PM
Maybe use it as an opportunity to change it up and do stone sills or something like that?

Howard Garner
07-31-2011, 3:22 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Nusbaum;1749951]Hi all,
Hoping someone out there has some experience with brick veneer. I'm installing new windows in my house; I'm down to the last two. These are going in the part of the house that's brick veneer and I need to lower the brick sill. I knew going into it that I would have to do this, or go to a window that was too small.
Each sill is composed of 13 bricks set on edge, with another row of 13 on top of those, set at an angle so water can drain off. My current plan is to remove the top layer and cut about a 1/2" off the bottom row, then reinstall the top row as they were.
Is this the right way to do it?

This would make these two not match the rest of the house. I would take both rows off and adjust the next row down.

Howard Garner

Rob Nusbaum
08-01-2011, 8:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
John - I may end up wishing I had taken your advice, but I just had to try it.
Matt - Considered changing styles, but needed to match two other windows of different sizes in which the sill height was not an issue.
Howard - There is a slight difference from the other windows, but you have to look pretty close to see it.
I have completed 1 of the window sills. Just took all the bricks out and notched them so I could lower the sill 3/4". It came out pretty good. Using a diamond blade in a cutoff grinder works great! Planning to get the other one done tomorrow.

Have a blessed week,
Rob