PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Candles

Jerry Rhoads
07-29-2011, 9:11 AM
July 2011 Woodturning Magazine had a great article by Terry Scott (Cosmic candle holders). It was good timing as I had been wanting to try spinning paint on some large rim bowls. These are great practice and so much fun that I still havn't messed with the large rim bowls.
These babies are a lot of fun to make, quick, easy to do, and I did not have any that I did not like (did not throw into the firewood).
I did make the candle hole bigger than his to allow for the glass inserts to hold the votive candle.
Thank you Terry Scott, Editor Mark Baker(I think I spied him from a distance in St. Paul) and Woodturning Magazine.

Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Now those are just cool. Really nicely done.

Eric Holmquist
07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I was thinking about doing this project, now I want to even more! They look great.

This reminds me of back in grade school where we had these high speed spinny things that you would put card stock on and drip pain on to them for spin art.

Marc Himes
07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I love the colors and the patterns created by your technique. They are really nice. Well done Jerry.

David E Keller
07-29-2011, 1:24 PM
Those look great! I'd thought about doing something like this, so it's nice to know that there's a published article on the topic. I think your's turned out great!

Jim Burr
07-29-2011, 2:27 PM
That really has not limit to what you can do Jerry. Thanks for posting!

Harvey Ghesser
07-29-2011, 3:14 PM
Really, really nice, Jerry!

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2011, 3:50 PM
Well those sure turned out nice! Great patterns and I really like the color combinations! Thanks for sharing!

Baxter Smith
07-29-2011, 9:52 PM
Pretty cool Jerry!

John Keeton
07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Jerry, those sure are some neat effects! Very interesting project. Did you end up with a line of paint up the wall and ceiling?????

Jerry Rhoads
08-02-2011, 8:01 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
John I did protect the lathe, and had cardboard directly in front of and behind.
However later I noticed that one of my face mask hanging from above on a wire had blue and red dots all over it.
Next batch I will cut a hole in a pretty good sized box remove chuck with wood and slip box over the drive spindle.

Oooh, would also like to memtion that I first was airbrushing the metalic silver base coat(not good at hand painting a surface). Could not find that I had any gold liquid in a bottle. Found a rattle can of gold metalic on the shelf, tried it, and it worked great. I will continue to use rattle can for the base coat. It beats the heck out of cleaning the airbrush every time you want to switch colors and you don't have brush marks from paiting the intire surface.

Jerry