PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Sean Troy
07-29-2011, 8:57 AM
Hi all, one of our churches computers is being used for our video surveillance cameras (program and storage of video files). It has it's own graphics card. The computer has it's original graphics card also. I need a VGA port on this computer (for another monitor) and was wondering if I can add a VGA card in one of the left over slots, I think the left over slot is PCI. The main graphics card has a DVI-d port for the computer monitor (HD) I think the computer can handle about anything like this. i7 processor, 8 gig mem.2 tb hard drive. Can a VGA be added? Thanks, Sean

Dan Hintz
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
With those specs, I'm assuming it's a relatively recent OS version... in that case, the answer is typically 'yes'. Pop in the card, install the driver, and away you go. Just be aware the screen will not be dedicated to the surveillance program but will be an extension of the desktop. Not usually a problem, just be aware of it.

Sean Troy
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
OS is 7 Pro and I am hoping to use the monitor connected to the VGA port for another program. It will be a touch screen that needs the VGA for the monitor and USB for the touch screen part of the program. Sean

Dan Hintz
07-29-2011, 1:29 PM
Hmmm, touch screen, too? You may have to try and see... hope the touch screen driver can handle not covering the entire background (i.e., on a 1-screen system).

Sean Troy
07-29-2011, 3:07 PM
Hmmm, touch screen, too? You may have to try and see... hope the touch screen driver can handle not covering the entire background (i.e., on a 1-screen system). Not sure if I understand you correctly?

Kevin W Johnson
07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
The computer has it's original graphics card also. I need a VGA port on this computer (for another monitor) and was wondering.........

Is the original graphics card integrated (onboard the motherboard), or a card installed in the PCI-E slot? If it's a card, i'd just install a new video card that has multiple monitor connections on it. It'll be much easier in the long run using multiple monitors. If you opt for a PCI card, just be sure that the card you choose is supported by Windows 7. I know if you use a video card with multiple outputs, you can easily span the desktop across two monitors, and use one monitor to display a certain program, and use the other as usual.

Sean Troy
08-01-2011, 8:16 AM
The original is on a PCIe slot. I thought of that but can't seem to find a card with VGA and DVI-d on the same card.

Mark Major
08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Sean; just get a PCIe card with two DVI connectors (very common) and get a DVI to VGA adapter for the VGA monitor. You only get analog output but it works just fine.

Mark

Kevin W Johnson
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Sean; just get a PCIe card with two DVI connectors (very common) and get a DVI to VGA adapter for the VGA monitor. You only get analog output but it works just fine.

Mark

If he HAS to have DVI-D, then he has to be careful what he buys. DVI-D is DVI Digital, which carries ONLY a digital signal and a DVI to VGA adapter wont work. If the card has dual DVI-I, then this should work for him. DVI-I has both analog and digital signals.

Kevin W Johnson
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Sean,

What kinda of graphics card is the original card that you have? I'll see if i can find something comparable to what you already have. I found a video that has a DVI-I (which is DVD-D and DVI-A combined), a VGA, and a HDMI. It wasn't terribly hard to find, but i had to go to the manufacturers product page to determine the DVI type, the retailers page just wasn't that specific. The other option is to find a card that has two DVI-I connectors and use a DVI to VGA adapter on one of them.

Sean Troy
08-01-2011, 4:17 PM
If I remember correctly, it's a Dual 1 gig Radeon HD 6450 Graphics DP/DVId. I'm starting to think it would be easier to just use an old tower to run the system. I know we have those or at least one or two some where in the church. I would hate to replace a perfectly good new card. Thanks, Sean