PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 5312 or the GCM12SD???

Harold Burrell
07-29-2011, 8:44 AM
I have a question…and I hope I am not splitting hairs here. However, I could think of no better place to ask this than here.

This past week my nephew bought me a Bosch 5312 SCMS (he is now my favorite nephew by the way). The question I have is this…as I was researching my saw, I came across Bosch’s new GCM12SD Glider. Do you think that the advantages to the new saw make it that much better? I have never owned a slider before, but I have always heard that the slider mechanism had a tendency to get sloppy over time (regardless of the brand). Lowes (where it was purchased) has already told me that they would take the saw back and put it toward the new GCM12SD and I would (of course) pay the difference. But is it worth the extra $200 bucks (or is it because it is just new and cool)?

Decisions, decisions…

(And, yes…in case you’re wondering…this is a gloat.) ;)

Doug Colombo
07-29-2011, 9:42 AM
I just bought a new saw and wanted to get a slider for the cutting capacity. The one thing that was holding me back was the room that they need due to the rails. The Bosch Glide solves that issue. I bought the Glide and love the saw. My son in law just used it to cut 5 3/4" crown molding and also was very pleased with the saw. My vote (supported by my purchase) is if you want a slider, go with the Glide.

keith denbesten
07-29-2011, 9:45 AM
X2 for the glide. I love mine.

Harold Burrell
07-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

The room really isn't the issue. I am more concerned about durability. Should I be???

Kurt Cady
07-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I read a review somewhere recently (amazon?) that said you can't cut anything taller than 4" on the right side of the blade. I don't have one so obviously I can't verify that