PDA

View Full Version : Small saw acquisition

Alan Turner
02-18-2005, 5:27 AM
Guys,
This is a small gloat, for a small saw. It is a 7" Hammond trim-o-saw, Model BF-10, which I hope will cut dead nuts on square. It is not the Hammond glider, but rather has the beefiest miter gauge I have ever seen. Must be 2" wide, and carefully machined. No slop at all, whatsoever!
I’ll pick it up locally in about a week, but went to examine it before bidding, and it is clean and runs well. Single phase. It came from a Philadelphia public school shop and I am guessing it was used for training purposes only, so likely has light hours. No noticeable graffiti. ( : Amazingly, it has 21.5" in front of the blade, for crosscutting. I have seen another of these, a glider with the rolling table, in a very fine cabinet shop, and they used it when extreme accuracy in cross-cutting 90's was required, and so I am hoping that this one will fill the same bill. It has the 45 degree miter attachment with it.

If anyone out there has one, or has experience with one, I would love to learn more. It came without any manual, but I will write the mfg’er, which is still in business although not making this saw, to inquire. I read the article in FWW 32, but his was a glider, and he modified the arbor and cabinet to hold a standard 10" cabinet saw blade, which I will not do. He also added a slot mortiser attachment, which I will also not do.

It is a curious little guy, and I look forward to playing with it. From the forbidden Bay, so no link, but I am attaching the photos there posted.

Alan

Jeff Sudmeier
02-18-2005, 8:08 AM
That is a neat "little" tool. It is bigger than my TS! :) Congrats on your new toy, I mean tool. I hope that it does everything you want it to.

Wes Bischel
02-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Alan,
Cool saw - I took a liking to them a while back - though never used one. Duh, I had originally posted asking if you needed the FWW article - I guess I got too excited about your purchase to read the whole post :rolleyes:

Good luck with your new baby ;)

Wes

Alan Turner
02-18-2005, 11:10 AM
I do have the old FWW article, but thanks all the same. CAn't wait to get her cleaned up. She is a bit dirty, but I'll bet a pretty quick rub down with thinner will help tons. There is no rust to speak of, only patina. I probably won't try to polich it to bright as I sort of like the patina better.
Alan

Stan Wellborn
10-16-2008, 12:11 AM
To those on this topic:

I am preparing to sell a classic Hammond Trim-o-Saw that I have owned since around 1985. It is a floor model in excellent condition, and has had little use in recent years. I am mainly concerned about getting it into a good shop that will appreciate what a fine machine it is. I did modify it for a 10-inch blade that I needed for wood joinery, but I have all of the original equipment -- arbor, blade guard, light, etc.

My Trim-O-Saw is a Model G100. I believe it was one of the last Gliders made, probably early to mid-1960s. It was used in a small hot-type shop near Baltimore. Original paint is in great condition, and there is no rust anywhere. All of the original attachments have been carefully removed, but I have kept them, including the finger scale. The 10-inch carbide blade runs exceptionally true.

There is no miter attachment for angle cuts. Neither the table or the blade tilt, so combination miter cuts require a jig.

My question is: what is a fair price to ask for this rather rare and legendary saw? I am thinking between $750 and $1,000. I would prefer not to post it on eBay but sell privately. Any advice on pricing?

Tom Godley
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Excuse my ignorance - what is it used for?

I see it was used in the press business - printing?

Lee Hingle
10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Tom,
We had one of these at a print shop I worked at for quite some time. They tried to give the darn thing to me quite a few times but I wanted no part of it with the tiny (I guess 7") blade. It had the sliding attachment.

We used ours to cut "furniture" - which is small wood blocks used to fill the gaps in a die for a letterpress. The die rule is attached to plywood and these blocks take up the dead space - all of this is contained in a large steel "picture frame" type apparatus called a chase.

Lee

Alan DuBoff
10-17-2008, 2:55 AM
Very nice old saw. Those are good saws.

I do favor old machinery myself. I have a Yates American G-89. It's quite the beast.:)