PDA

View Full Version : Can these stencils be cut on a Co2 laser?

Robert L Stewart
07-29-2011, 2:47 AM
A friend of mine is starting up a gun repair business and he needs to mark metal on occasion. He has contacted a company called "IMG". The company started in 1951 and was called the "Electromark Company". They make stencils with your info ie logo and such and with their equiptment that you purchase you can then mark metal with your design or logo.

Does anyone know if the stencil material can be cut with a Co2 laser. It is available in various sizes. I don't know much about any of it but thought I would ask here. Their website is: img-electromark.com
Thanks,

Robert

Larry Bratton
07-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I read the information on their site and I also don't know much about the material. Looks like a hand process for marking, using a stencil, a low voltage electrical charge through an electrolyte solution. I defer to someone that may have a good answer.

Mike Null
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
There's another company that's been around a long time with a very similar process. You can also try doing your own etching with Ferric chloride.

I doubt that the stencil can be lasered--looks to be photographic.

Tony Lenkic
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Mike - "Etch-O-Matic" is the one you are thinking of.

Mike Null
07-29-2011, 1:05 PM
Tony

As usual you are right.

Robert L Stewart
07-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you guys for replying. I will pass on the info. Yes it does appear to be a photographic process.

Robert

Larry Bratton
07-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I think it uses a photopolymer process, similar to how stencils are made for etched photopolymer signs.