PDA

View Full Version : Stopper turner question

Donny Lawson
07-28-2011, 9:22 PM
For the ones that turn stoppers "What kind of chuck do you use to hold the stopper while turning?" I am looking at the collet chuck,are they any good? Also I am looking at the "Flor Cork" ends and the "Stainless" ends.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2011, 9:31 PM
Donny - I don't turn a lot of stoppers but I picked up the Ruth Niles kit which includes a Morse taper mandrel to hold the blank. Check it out here: Bottle Stopper Kit (http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html)

Greg Just
07-28-2011, 9:31 PM
I use this bottle stopper chuck from PSI. I cut the threads in the wood with a tap then I soak the threads in thin CA, let it dry and re-cut. While on the chuck, I use the tailstock as long as I can.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-BS1-MJ.html

charlie knighton
07-28-2011, 9:39 PM
i do not turn many stoppers, and mine tend to be oversized and be able to use your palm to insert(not pointy), but i digrest, i use #1 jaws on my stronghold chuck by oneway, normally use #3 jaws for most things except xmas ornaments which i go back to #1 jaws

James Combs
07-28-2011, 9:54 PM
Donny, I have not turned any bottle stoppers but I just purchased some kits to turn. I also already have the Beal collet system which uses standard ER32 collets. The individual collets can be purchased from any machining supply, eBay, and many other online suppliers. I say this because if it were me and I was debating which to buy I would go for the collet system (one that uses a standard collet) because it is much more versatile. When I get ready to do my bottle stoppers I will simple find me a bolt of the proper thread and cut the head off and chuck it up in the appropriate collet and presto I have a bottle stopper chuck. Hope this helps in your decision. If you go with collet "system" meaning with several different size collets (I have eighteen from 1/8" thru 3/4") you will wonder how you got along without it. If I remember correctly the Beal system comes with 5 collets which is a great start.

Edit: PS, if you go with a collet system I can't emphasize going with a standard enough. Some of the less expensive systems use proprietary collets and must be purchased from the original vendor. ER series chucks whether they are ER11 or all the way up to ER50 are industry standards. ER32 happens to be a popular size. And one caveat do not mix the ER sizes. If you go with ER32 stay with it or you will need be buy a compatible chuck.

Alan Zenreich
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I too use the Ruth Niles mandrels.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I use Ruth Niles mandrels and stainless steel stoppers.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
You can buy mandrels at most turning supply places....they can be held in a drill chuck on your lathe.....I have 2 of those.

I also have Ruth Niles mandrel. I would recommend a drawbar for use with the drill chuck or Ruth Niles mandrel unless you care to chase the bottlestopper across the shop.