PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this? Tools that come organized & quality.

Bill Wyko
07-28-2011, 8:19 PM
I recently did a review on my 15V bowl gouge from Glaser. After looking over their entire line of tools I came across these. In my shop, space is the biggest value. Finally someone has created a way to organize, use and store turning tools in a whole new way. On top of that, if these tools are as incredible as the 15V, they may have the best set of tools yet. I'm going to be ordering a set of the Mini Glaser next week, I'll let you know if they are as functional as they look. (Got a sneaking suspicion they'll be great based on my 15V) Can't wait, love new tools with new ideas.:)
http://www.glaserhitec.com/shop/new-miniglaser-qr/

Scott Hackler
07-28-2011, 8:43 PM
That is a cool idea and design. The problem I have is the length of the handle. The steels appear to be full size (or most of them), but the short handle would throw me a bit for full sized tools. I would be much more interested in a set like this with a larger handle and the ability to order the steel ala cart, as there are some of the steels that I wouldn't use or would need to build the set over time. At the current price, its not something that I would be seriously concidering. I do however applaud Glaser for creating new products for our craft.

If I was interested in a short handled set, Doug Thompsons travel kit seems like a good deal, expecially since the tools store in the handle and it was only something like $150. The down side it that you have to have a allen wrench to change the steels. Not sure if an allen wrench will fit inside the handle or not.

* Disclaimer: I own 2 Thompson steels (won them here in the last turning contest) and I recently bought a 16" handle. I like his tools just fine but am not trying to steer anyone either way. I don't have any Glaser tools (yet) so I can't compare them.

Bill Wyko
07-28-2011, 9:01 PM
I've never used a Thompson so I can't do a comparison either. I have heard good things though. Glaser also makes another system with a full size handle as well. I really like the rotisserie set up for the space I have in my shop. My only concern with allan heads would be the wear over time. The 15V I recently got is great though. The lead shot in the handle really makes a world of difference in the feel of the cut. Where other tools I have would catch, this thing has such a dead weight feel to it that it just cuts smoothly right through rough spots. I was using it last night turning a piece that has voids in it. It made jumping the gap a non issue. In the past I've blown pieces to bits using my lighter weight Crown tools. Don't get me wrong, the Crown tools are fantastic, they just don't have that dead weight feel that eliminates vibration. I'll have to get my hands on a Thompson gouge one of these days. I'm one of those tool-a-hollic's:D

David E Keller
07-28-2011, 9:07 PM
It's a cool idea, but I agree with Scott about the length of the handle. Looks like it would be great for somebody who mostly does small stuff and spindles. I've not had the opportunity to use or even see any of the Glaser tools, but it will be interesting to read your impressions of the system.

Bill Wyko
07-28-2011, 9:16 PM
I plan on using them mostly for finials, lids and the smaller details of my projects. They seem like they will be ideal for getting into tight places and allowing a little more creativity on smaller turnings. I recently watched a couple videos from Cindy Drozda, I really am impressed with her small projects. I've been on so many long term projects lately that it'll be nice to do some things with a little quicker satisfaction.

You may want to check out the Synergy tools. They are full size tools with the same quick change feature. I'll probably get one with an Elswworth style grind eventually but the whole set is a little out of my reach for now. Oh well, more tools to look forward to some day.