PDA

View Full Version : small gloat

Dennis Simmons
07-28-2011, 8:04 PM
My dentist gave me a new air drill, he did not like, it will turn 400,000 RPM. I have ideas for inlays, and pendants.I also got a lot of bits with the tool. I would like to try some lace features on small bowls, Any advice would be welcome.

John Keeton
07-28-2011, 8:22 PM
Dennis, I know nothing about piercing, but I did talk to my dentist about an air drill. They are expensive! You really scored with this one. I do understand that the bearings in these things are super sensitive to moisture, so a very good filter system is a good idea.

I look forward to new projects from you! Scott and Richard Kennedy need some competition to keep them on their toes!!

Eric Holmquist
07-28-2011, 8:24 PM
You are in for some fun. I just came inside from a piercing session. The key piece of advice is "air flow" even outside there was enough smoke produced to make my eyes water until I set up a shop fan to blow on me.

The key piercing bit is the 699L (~$2.50 apiece)

Practice on egg shells before you pierce a bowl so you get used to using the tool on something you don't have any time investment in.

If you are not used to turning thin walls (1/8" and under) it's time to master the technique. I built up a stash of thin bowls while I learned to turn thin and practiced piercing on eggs.

Greg Just
07-28-2011, 9:09 PM
If piercings don't work, you could always resort to doing your own fillings! :D

David E Keller
07-28-2011, 9:15 PM
Looks like a great score! Beats the heck out of my dremel!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Now that is a gloat.

Baxter Smith
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Congrats! I need to talk to my dentist!

Scott Hackler
07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
You are in for some fun. I just came inside from a piercing session. The key piece of advice is "air flow" even outside there was enough smoke produced to make my eyes water until I set up a shop fan to blow on me.

The key piercing bit is the 699L (~$2.50 apiece)

Practice on egg shells before you pierce a bowl so you get used to using the tool on something you don't have any time investment in.

If you are not used to turning thin walls (1/8" and under) it's time to master the technique. I built up a stash of thin bowls while I learned to turn thin and practiced piercing on eggs.

Eric, where are you buying your bits? The only carbide bits I found were at craftsupplies. I like the medium tapered bit the best for piercing but none of their stock numbers match your number.

Dennis, a fan IS a must (for piercing AND burning) I bought a little $5 desk fan at WalMart and it works great for this purpose. AND you must have a water filter and regulator for the drill. 35psi MAX to the drill.

Jon Nuckles
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice gloat. As someone who had a lot of cavities as a kid, I wonder how long it takes until you don't wince when you hear the whine of the dentist's drill.

Dennis Simmons
07-29-2011, 6:57 PM
Nice gloat. As someone who had a lot of cavities as a kid, I wonder how long it takes until you don't wince when you hear the whine of the dentist's drill.

I also had cavities as a kid, only problem in the 50's was there was no whine, they were belt driven, and it took a lot longer.:(

Dennis Simmons
07-29-2011, 7:02 PM
If piercings don't work, you could always resort to doing your own fillings! :D

The good thing about what you said is that now days, I can take my teeth out and work on them:eek::D:p

Eric Holmquist
07-29-2011, 7:25 PM
These 1/16" shank bits are dental burs and there is an international standard for their numbering. CSUSA hides this standard number from you. Other suppliers like

Turbocarver http://www.turbocarver.com/burtypes/body_burtypes.html
Burs for Carving http://www.bursforcarving.com/FGBurs.html
Treeline USA http://www.treelineusa.com/power-carving-burs/116-carbide?p=3
Bihn Pho http://www.wondersofwood.net/

Sell them by their ISO number. Treeline only has the 699 in their online catalog but stocks and sells the 699L on request.

I'm sure there are others that sell the 699L, these are just a few that came quickly to mind

Scott Hackler
07-29-2011, 7:30 PM
Whats the difference between the 699 and the 699L?

Robert McGowen
07-29-2011, 7:39 PM
Just purchased some bits from Craft Supply. Copied off of their website:

#699 Small Cross Cut Tapered Fissure Cutter

They are $2.25 each

Eric Holmquist
07-29-2011, 7:40 PM
The 699L has a slightly longer cutter head length, 5.2mm vs 4.2mm for the 699

Scott Hackler
07-29-2011, 7:44 PM
Oh. Well I have a 699 (regular) and found it a bit too small for the particular pattern I like to do. The large is too big, so for now I am sticking with the medium (which is a 701).

Thanks for the info Eric