PDA

View Full Version : Black Queen

David DeCristoforo
07-28-2011, 7:48 PM
I have wanted to try an "all black" piece for some time now. The ones I have seen done by other turners always have a bit of a "wicked" look to them. One of the things I got to remember from my "hot rod" days is that black is unforgiving in it's ability to show the slightest flaw in form and finish. And since this does not benefit from any exotic grain figuring, form and finish is what it is all about.

At the last minute, I got the idea of making the embellishment in the pedestal purple instead of black. The "queens jewel" I guess. Of course, the purple "pearl" means that it is not, technically, an "all black" piece. So I still have that one to work on!

The edge treatment is a direct result of thinking about turning while playing chess. One of two possible results, the other being a lost game. In chess, as in turning, loss of focus and inattention usually result in a less than desirable outcome!

So here she is… my "beauty". But is she a beauty? Everyone will tell her she is because, after all, she is the queen. But is she really? I guess we will just have to wait and see...

203319 203320

Jamie Donaldson
07-28-2011, 7:52 PM
OOoohhhh, she's a beauty Queen for sure David!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2011, 7:52 PM
That is a beauty for sure David. Absolutely beautiful. I do like the rim treatmaent and can see one slip and oh-oh.

John Keeton
07-28-2011, 7:53 PM
Just happened to be online for the posting of the Queen. David, you are really getting these things down pat! Just a beautiful piece. The transition to the form is perfect, the lines of the stem are ever so delicate, and the form is just strikingly well done! The purple embellishment looks pearlescent (sp?) from here, and is a wonderful touch.

I wouldn't lie to the Queen - she definitely is a beauty!

Roger Chandler
07-28-2011, 7:54 PM
Truly nice, David. I like the contrast with the purple..........adds just enough feature without distracting from a fine form, once again, exquisitely done.

I would still love to see all these amphora forms in one picture side by side.........showing the progressions of your nuances in form and style.

Truly a distinctive form that is identified with you...........not everyone can have that be said of their work. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Scott Hackler
07-28-2011, 8:18 PM
Well now the contest is stacked..... :) Great piece David. I really like the rim treatment on this one and it really works with the black color.

Steve bellinger
07-28-2011, 8:30 PM
Well i think your beauty is a beauty for sure.:) i thought your last one was about the best anyone could make. But now i know i was wrong. great job and best of luck.

Bill Wyko
07-28-2011, 9:04 PM
David, everytime I come across your work I have to take a step back. Your work really stands out in the crowd. Your ability to create delicate pieces of beauty and style is incredible. Congratulations on another exquisite piece.

David E Keller
07-28-2011, 9:11 PM
I think it's beautiful! I think the purple accent is a very nice touch. Delicate is certainly an apt description as well. Best of luck... Looking forward to your 'beast'!

charlie knighton
07-28-2011, 9:15 PM
definitely a beauty, the purple stands out, great form, its a keeper David

Michael James
07-28-2011, 9:57 PM
Oh, she's a beauty for sure, but is she THE beauty??? Only time will tell.... Great piece as usual and I love the black!
mj

James Combs
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice execution David. Right up there with what we have come to expect from you.

Baxter Smith
07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Very very sharp David! My first two thoughts were "I love this new monitor" and "I need to go back and look at your others now!" This one reminds me of the premise that if you want to learn how to be a great photographer and produce stunning work, you need to learn to shoot in black and white. That may be be true of turning as well. In that regard, this is an Ansel Adams level of work!

Alan Trout
07-28-2011, 11:17 PM
David, very nice. well done.

Rick Markham
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Magnificient! Flawless. I love the rim. I want to know what she looks like next to the Tuxedo, bet they make a pretty couple.

Tim Thiebaut
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
That is just amazing David....

Kathy Marshall
07-29-2011, 1:00 AM
Definitely a Beauty David! I really like the purple embellishment. If it's true that black shows the slightest of flaws, then this piece must be flawless! Wonderful rim treatment and the finish is exquisite!

Donny Lawson
07-29-2011, 6:48 AM
Very nice piece. Great design.

Norm Zax
07-29-2011, 8:00 AM
Wicked queen indeed! A definite Wow!

Jerry Rhoads
07-29-2011, 8:46 AM
David that is indeed a Queen of Beauty.

Jerry

Lionel Mercier
07-29-2011, 8:48 AM
Very nice piece, elegant
Speechless & smily Lionel. :)

What wood, what size?
Yes, really it's a Queen
Remains just a detail: the King and other details ... thirty other pieces ...
assuming that you can sub-contract the pawns, it still must be invented fourteen, among this, bishops and knights
many work in perspective.

Harvey Ghesser
07-29-2011, 8:57 AM
Exquisite piece. Congratulations!

Jon Nuckles
07-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, yeah, David D. produces another stunning piece. Yawn, what else is new? ;)

Tony De Masi
07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
You can't turn a bowl but you can turn this absolutely magnificent piece? How is that possible? If I were you I wouldn't give a bowl a second thought.

Marc Himes
07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Beautiful piece as always David. The detail on the base, the purple "jewel" and the scalloped edge add to the already graceful form. Very nice.

Curt Fuller
07-29-2011, 8:02 PM
Oh I guess it's alright.

Sheesh! That's a beauty if I've ever seen one!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2011, 8:13 PM
Double D............. Starkly beautiful...................delicate............el egant............hauntingly beautiful!

David DeCristoforo
07-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Just a quick thanx to everyone for the kind comments. Lionel suggested making a full set of chess pieces and so did my wife. I don't think I have the patience!

Baxter Smith
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Just a quick thanx to everyone for the kind comments. Lionel suggested making a full set of chess pieces and so did my wife. I don't think I have the patience!
Have any holly? How about a white queen?

Cathy Schaewe
07-31-2011, 9:41 AM
Oh wow. Stunning!