PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Elm Form

Johnny Taylor
07-28-2011, 2:09 PM
I've bought a set of 5/8" shaft Kelton hollowers, wanting to just give them a go, I have taken a little break from my current series/direction and made a couple of little Elm forms. The first one was a very basic form just to try them out(its on my blog if anyones interested) and the second was to give them more of a try out on a flatter shaped top. Here is the result, its turned side grain as the Elm I have has such beautiful wide stripes running through it and you tend to lose the nice pattern with end grain. The lid is ebonised Beech and the finial is turned from 6mm aluminium bar and given a satin finish. Its about 6" wide.
Comments and critiques most welcome and appreciated.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/alusmall2.jpg

Its near impossible to get a focus on the finial:o for me anyway, so apologies about that.

If anyone wants to see what I thought of my first tries with the Keltons take a look on my blog(linked under 'homepage' in my profile.)

Johnny

Robert McGowen
07-28-2011, 2:29 PM
I would offer some suggestions, but I can't see any way for you to improve anything. You showed off the wood to great effect with the growth rings.

Bill Bolen
07-28-2011, 2:39 PM
Love it Johnny! From that gorgeous piece of Elm to the broad shouldered form this piece is outstanding!...Bill...

Scott Hackler
07-28-2011, 3:22 PM
Boy that is a gorgeous piece of elm. I love the orientation and finish of the elm, great work. The finial is different, but cool. Using different techniques, forms and mediums always appeals to me. To improve upon the next finial, for my eye, I would concentrate on making the long portion a smooth flowing curve. This is a technique that take a little practice and sometimes a few minutes away from the piece to see it in a new light. Everyone does their finials, just a little different. I like to do mine by replicating a drop of oil on a wire, just before it drops off. Nature always gives us great forms to emmulate. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Burgess
07-28-2011, 3:51 PM
This is fantastic. That Elm has some great color and I like the finial. Makes me want to get some aluminum to ruin. Thanks for sharing.

bob svoboda
07-28-2011, 4:01 PM
Simply, very nice from all aspects.

Jon Nuckles
07-28-2011, 4:43 PM
Great piece with elegant lines. Love everything about it.

Tim Thiebaut
07-28-2011, 6:30 PM
Johnny your work continues to impress, the form is great, the wood is beautiful, I like the detailing in the lid....and well your alum and brass finials are just plain cool since they are so unique.

Eric Holmquist
07-28-2011, 6:43 PM
Beautiful form and use of wood. I love what you have been doing with finials. Finials are a real weakness of mine, so I really like it when I see novel approaches to them.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2011, 7:53 PM
Excellent piece and beautiful form. I do like that finial.

charlie knighton
07-28-2011, 9:33 PM
great piece, the grain was orientated very nice, the final shape is fine, just me the aluminium color does not clash but does not work for me, i would like the flat color of english boxwood (sand), just me

Michael James
07-28-2011, 9:50 PM
Very beautiful piece Johnny! Thanks for upping the pics. I love the alum on black, looks great.
mj

Baxter Smith
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Great form, great grain, great work!

David DeCristoforo
07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Great form, great wood and an excellent job on the finial. How sweet it is...

Johnny Taylor
07-30-2011, 5:12 AM
Thank you for all the kind replies, I really appreciate them :). I'm itching to get back out on the lathe and get cracking on some new ideas but 'normal' life keeps getting in the way!!! LOL