PDA

View Full Version : Securing the Beall Buffer- No Wobble

Michael Ginsberg
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a hint to those of you who use the Beall Buffing system. I recently started useing my Beall Buffing system with the eight inch wheels. I found that especially when using the Beall extension, the #2 MT mandrel kept loosening from my headstock as I applied pressure to my bowl while polishing. My solution was to screw a threaded rod into the threaded hole in the MT end and have the rod extend through the headstock. At the end of the headstock I secured the rod with a washer and wingnut. It holds rock solid without loosening.
Hope this helps those of you who don't already know this trick!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Michael.....I have used a "drawbar" since I had to chase the buffing wheel across the shop. One of my other tools uses a drawbar of a different size diameter and thread so I have two...with wingnuts and washers.

Roger Chandler
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a hint to those of you who use the Beall Buffing system. I recently started useing my Beall Buffing system with the eight inch wheels. I found that especially when using the Beall extension, the #2 MT mandrel kept loosening from my headstock as I applied pressure to my bowl while polishing. My solution was to screw a threaded rod into the threaded hole in the MT end and have the rod extend through the headstock. At the end of the headstock I secured the rod with a washer and wingnut. It holds rock solid without loosening.
Hope this helps those of you who don't already know this trick!

Micheal,

What size and thread count on your threaded rod?

Michael Ginsberg
07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Roger, I just checked with Beall. The thread is 1/4 x 20 TPI