PDA

View Full Version : Moving Laser

Andrea Weissenseel
07-28-2011, 4:01 AM
Our Laser will be moved to a new location. What do I need to do, to secure it (inside) or do I just need to load it on a truck and go ?

Thanks, Andrea

Rodne Gold
07-28-2011, 4:36 AM
You need to tie the head and gantry up , remove any loose parts , tape the lid closed etc. do the same as if you were moving a delicate antique or piece of furniture.
You will most likely need to check alignment at the new place , especially if its a bumpy ride as the movement can mess with the mirrors.
If you still have the pallet base it came on , I would strap the machine to it for moving and use some corrugated cardboard to wrap it in for added protection.

Frank Corker
07-28-2011, 6:44 AM
Good luck with your move Andrea.

Mike Null
07-28-2011, 6:51 AM
Depending on your evaluation of the difficulty of the move you might consider removing the tube and transporting it in your car. On the other hand both of mine arrived in good order by truck.

Amy Shelton
07-28-2011, 9:57 AM
When we moved ours, we put the tube in the foam packing material it came in ... then we put rubber bands around the head.
We had kept the foam and rubber bands when we bought it. We transported the tube in the car where it would have a smoother ride.

I hope all goes well with the move!

Albert Nix
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I moved mine a few months back. I did as Rodne suggested. I had saved my base pallet (came with a ramp to roll the machine on and off), Foam bocks and spring loaded bolts. I just parked the gantry in the upper right corner. I used my fork lift and very gently sat it in the back of my P/U truck. I was going to use a trailer but the truck has a softer suspension. Good luck

Larry Bratton
07-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Remember, the thing came in on a common carrier truck, or at least mine did. They are not exactly known for gentle handling. I moved mine 500 miles on a moving van. I had saved the original packing and used it. I just secured everything that could move, packed it in the crate, and had 4 guys load in the truck and secure it. Unloaded it by hand at the destination. It had to be moved a second time into the building where it was going to be kept. Loaded it by hand again, moved it into the building, plugged it in, aligned it and it's been doing just fine since. Good luck, just be careful with it and you will be fine.

Oh-PS- I did almost have a heart attack though..the Epilog has an Emergency Stop switch that pushes in to shut it off. It will not come back on until that switch is pulled out. We moved the machine to it's final spot, had the electricians here, they got the plug ready...plugged it in...NOTHING! OMG what have we done to it! I happen to look down and it hit me that to check that switch..sure enough it had been pushed in while handling. Pulled her out and she started right up..whewwww! So if you have one of those switches...

Andrea Weissenseel
07-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot for the info and the good wishes :) "She" will move on Saturday, the actual transporting will be done by a moving company because she is on the 1st (I thinks it's you 2nd ;) ) and be transported down with an outside lift through the window :eek: they come with an additional smaller transporter. Unfortunately my dealer did not leave the original packing material, because they put the laser together at their location to check it before they delivered it to me. Hopefully I'll be back on air sometimes next week :D

Thanks again, Cheers Andrea

Dee Gallo
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Good luck with the move, Andrea, that's always an adventure!

cheers, dee

Glen Monaghan
07-28-2011, 2:05 PM
When we moved ours, we [...] transported the tube in the car where it would have a smoother ride.

Pre-laser days, I moved cross country with my very first home computer. Rather than let the movers possibly mishandle it, I packed the computer separately and tucked it into the trunk of my car for smoother ride and safer handling. Of course, on I-70 in western Kansas where you could see from horizon to horizon and there was only one other car in view, that other car rammed into the back of my car, hitting right where my computer was stored and damaging the external disc drive! In the end, it only cost about $50 to get the computer working properly again, but still, best laid plans and all that, right?

-Glen

PS-After the collision, we both pulled off onto the shoulder, at which time I witnessed in my rear view mirror the relatively younger other driver put his head down and repeatedly pound on his steering wheel with both hands. Overcome with sudden anger, I jumped out, raced back, yanked open his driver-side door, and demanded to know just what the blazes was going on??? He looked up at me, apologized profusely, and told me he was a junior at Kansas State University and it was all his fault. Confused, I asked what the heck he was talking about. He explained that he'd finished finals the night before, went out partying and drinking, got a couple of hours of sleep, and now was headed home to the West Coast but got so tired that he'd dozed off and apparently floored the gas pedal, hitting me before running off the road.

I was pretty sure we'd passed Manhattan (home of KSU) only half an hour before so, with a vein in my neck pulsing thunderously and threatening to explode, I furiously asked "You fell asleep??? How long have you been driving, anyway???" His reply: "Since I was 16..." After that sank in for a moment, I began to laugh, nearly hysterically and only made worse by the confused look on his face caused my sudden mood shift. But now, as they say, you know the rest of the story.