PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Walnut Inlaid Credenza Done

Bret Duffin
07-28-2011, 1:07 AM
Fellow WWs,This project utilizes some black walnut which I acquired by purchasing some "Urban" logs and having a portable mill saw it into lumber, some of which has dried thoroughly. I got lucky, this is gorgeous wood!

The walnut frames for the top and middle as well as all the walnut "veneer" in the top came from a single board which contained a lot of interesting grain. The serpentine shape of the front follows the natural grain direction of the walnut board also. The wood did not tell me what it wanted to be. I worked out a design for the credenza and then found a board with the right grain pattern.
The lighter colored wood is ash. The lighter contrasting wood inlaid in the top is the walnut sap-wood.The center section will have a full extension keyboard slide which I made. This is the first time I've tried making a full extension wooden drawer slide. I waxed it up good and it works well.

Thanks, Bret

Jimmy Williams
07-28-2011, 7:06 AM
Very Nice! I really like the simplicity, yet complexity, of this design.

Rob Haskell
07-28-2011, 9:47 AM
beautiful, the curved legs fit right in visually

Von Bickley
07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Bret,
Your work looks GREAT as usual......

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-28-2011, 2:54 PM
Excellent work!

Don Bullock
07-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Breathtaking!!!

glenn bradley
07-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Very cool Bret. They look light to the eye without looking delicate. I would love some closer shot of the details.

gary Zimmel
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Real nice work Bret. Thanks for the look see.

Craig D Peltier
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Great work as usual Brett, always look forward to seeing your postings of your work.

Bobby O'Neal
07-30-2011, 2:19 PM
That's beautiful. Great work on this one.

Ron Bontz
07-31-2011, 9:56 AM
Well Bret as always your out of the box designs and expertise make for an impressive piece. My compliments.

Harvey Pascoe
08-01-2011, 3:46 PM
Excellent work. Is the top really an "inlay" or is it a mosaic or lamination of veneers? Wondering what method you used.

Peter Aeschliman
08-01-2011, 4:05 PM
A work of art! Well done.

Bret Duffin
08-01-2011, 9:38 PM
Excellent work. Is the top really an "inlay" or is it a mosaic or lamination of veneers? Wondering what method you used.

The top has a frame perimeter into which is inset a plywood panel that has been rabbeted to fit the plough in the frame.I set the plywood down from the top of the frame about 3/16" and then fill that space with shop made veneers which are about 3/16" thick.

Bret

Harvey Pascoe
08-02-2011, 4:01 AM
The top has a frame perimeter into which is inset a plywood panel that has been rabbeted to fit the plough in the frame.I set the plywood down from the top of the frame about 3/16" and then fill that space with shop made veneers which are about 3/16" thick.

Bret

Thank you Bret, the same methods I use. I always wonder whether the term "inlay" is being improperly used. I think we need a new name for this method. Mossaic?

If I may, one more question: What method did you use to cut the veneer curves?

Bret Duffin
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Thank you Bret, the same methods I use. I always wonder whether the term "inlay" is being improperly used. I think we need a new name for this method. Mossaic?

If I may, one more question: What method did you use to cut the veneer curves?

Harvey, Band saw and edge sander. We could call it Parquet. Which is what I used to call before someone said it should be called inlay.

Bret