PDA

View Full Version : Another Bench Vice question

Frank Carnevale
07-27-2011, 8:30 PM
So I am going to build a bench finally and have the lumber to prove it :) It will be about 6 feet by 2 feet. I am going to put a planing stop at end where the twin screw vise would go. It will have a few "screws" that will raise and lower based on what size board needs planing. I will put a shoulder vise on the other end.

So, I am not planing doors or building large pieces of furniture. Would it make sense to pass on the twin screw vise and just build a moxon vise for dovetailing? I think I can get away with the planing stop when I have to plane anything. Any thought on that minimalist setup?

Dave Anderson NH
07-27-2011, 9:13 PM
There is no reason not to start with a minimalist setup. I worked for over 15 years with a 28" x 72" bench with only a Record face vise and 2 rows of dog holes. I used a number of stops in various forms that I originally saw in Sam Allen's book on benches which fit into dog holes on the bench. It sometimes required a little extra creativity to clamp some work, but I survived. Remember that you can always retrofit the bench, although that approach does take more work down the road. One prime reason it is a valid approach is that for your first bench you are unlikely to have a good handle on how you will work and on what you really both need and want.

Ron Brese
07-27-2011, 9:52 PM
On my first bench I didn't have a lot of work holding capability and the result of this is you have to expend a lot of effort figuring out how to hold the pieces you're working. On my last bench, which is a Shaker style bench, I have the BenchCrafted leg vise and wagon vise. Now all I have to think about is the work itself. Work holding is a non issue. Your workbench is a tool, how much capability you build into the bench will be an indication of how well it will function.

Ron

john brenton
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I think you had decided on the holtzappfle style and think you should stick with it. I love mine and I do a little bit of everything all by hand from rough lumber. I'm not saying that all hand work is a virtue, just that the bench has everything covered.

Obviosuly the twin screw is awesome for dovetails, but what I really love about it is being able to control where the pressure is. I love the twin screw, but would not necessarily love a chain driven twin screw. Being able to hold irregular stock, or being able to control where the pressure goes insted of just really cranking the vise down when say, cutting a tenon lengthwise, is a great feature.

Jim Koepke
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
There are a lot of personal choices to consider when making a bench.

Tool tray or not tool tray?

Apron or no apron and many others.

I am planning on having a few threaded holes in my apron to allow it to work like a twin screw vise at times.

I may also have some holes for dogs to support a board and a removable crochet as a stop for edge jointing.

As for vises my needs are to just hold the work still while it is being worked.

If some extra money ever comes my way an Emmert or a clone might be my choice just for fun.

jtk

Curt Putnam
07-28-2011, 3:16 AM
My back dictates an elevated work holding platform. The new Benchcrafted Moxon will be in my near term future. The only issues are stand alone vs. incorporating in a bench on bench. Tis a pleasant problem.

Andrae Covington
07-28-2011, 2:38 PM
One operation to think about is planing the edges of boards. Even if you don't plan to build large pieces of furniture, you may find yourself working with a board that is 6" - 10" wide, planing a straight edge. That kind of height sitting on top of your workbench may raise your plane up to an awkward height where you can't really put the necessary force into it.

Additionally, a board that wide sitting on edge will have a tendency to tip over, with only the end pushing against the planing stop. A simple birds mouth planing stop appliance would probably take care of that issue.

Depending on the configuration of your workbench, and the length of the board, you may be able to use F-style or parallel clamps to hold the workpiece to the front of your bench, held onto the legs below. Or consider building a crochet at the left side and holes for pegs in the right leg.

One of the ideas Chris Schwarz talks about on his How to Design or Modify a Bench DVD is a freestanding deadman. Simple to build, and can be stored when not needed. It's on the cover photo of the DVD...

lol... ladies and gentlemen, I present... the Mini Schwarz! :p

http://i51.tinypic.com/zvpyt.jpg

Charles Wiggins
07-28-2011, 4:51 PM
So I am going to build a bench finally and have the lumber to prove it

No pics. Didn't happen. :D

On to your question-
From what you describe I think the Moxon twin screw would be an excellent way to approach it. Schwarz talks about this in the Workbench Design Book and he points out that if your bench is tall enough to cut dovetails without stooping over, it's too tall for just about anything else. The clamp-on Moxon is a great solution because it get the cutting operation up to an comfortable height. Of course Klausz does dovetails in his shoulder vise all the time. I guess its all in how you learn to work. You could also build a separate joinery bench (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/the-joinery-bench-has-its-time-come) like Tim Williams, but I'd have to do A LOT of hand cut joinery to warrant that.

Trevor Walsh
08-01-2011, 8:18 PM
Considering how sexy the benchcrafted Moxon's are I vote moxon.... holdfasts should be able to handle edge planing. Or you could build a bench on bench...