PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 64 pit- Corel -Epilog problem

rich shepard
07-27-2011, 7:12 PM
Hi All
Well my XP machine bit the dust and now forced to go with win 7. I did get the laser to work with it but now if I send any job over like 500kp to the laser corel goes in to the not responding mode and you have to turn the computer off to clear the window. Any ideas? Have tried the pro version in the XP mode and that will not even fond the laser and tried every port and setting I can think of. I have tried it on two computers now with same results.
It's getting old and need to get some work done
thanks
rich
mini 35W

Craig Matheny
07-27-2011, 7:22 PM
Did you download the new driver for the 64 Bit windows? what ver corel?

rich shepard
07-27-2011, 7:27 PM
Yes newest version of the drivers and have both X4 and X5 does it on both
thanks
rich

Craig Matheny
07-27-2011, 7:50 PM
Did you from square one install the new 64 bit driver on the new system? Do you have the most current firm ware on the machine? I did the same thing 3 months ago and I run 1.5meg files all the time with no issue. All service packs installed in corel? If you have all this in play then cal Epillog in the AM and they will help

rich shepard
07-27-2011, 7:59 PM
Thanks Craig
Yes new driver downloaded yesterday along with the frame ware and have all the corel updates on both X4 and X5. Just got off the phone with Ian at Epilog and thier suluition is to get the 32 bit program for Win 7. Throwing money at it is only way I guess. Can cut small simple drawing without many lines but thise files though not that big in size have many lines. Shake roofing for Z scale trains so 1/220 so like 7000 lines.
rich

Paul Brinkmeyer
07-27-2011, 8:52 PM
It might not be the laser.
I have Corel do the same thing to me from time to time when I make it think to hard with microsofts latest system.
"Program not responding."

I used to close it out to resume working too.
One day I just sat back and waited and it did clear after a prolonged wait.
I actually have 2 diffferent programs that this happens to.
I do have a fairly good computer.
I do not have a solution, just similar issues.

Tim Bateson
07-27-2011, 9:52 PM
It's the cost of using a 64bit OS with Epilog - my preference. The newer driver has nearly eliminated this problem... nearly. It's not the size so much anymore but periodically I hit Print, then when I hit Properties, it all locks up & a reboot of my laptop is the only fix. Could be the 2nd job, 4th or 15th - It's random.

john passek
07-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I've been having the same problem with 64 bit Vista.

rich shepard
07-27-2011, 11:54 PM
well at least I'm not the only one having problems. But need to get this roofing cut out of stock and have orders. So far no luck at all will just let it set and see of it prints after a while.
thanks
rich

Tim Bateson
07-28-2011, 7:31 AM
Rich, It sounds more like you are still using the previous driver/firmware combo. You said you downloaded & are using the latest driver & firmware. Are you sure? These can sometimes be tricky. I know for myself & others we have tried to upgrade & it seemed successful only to find out it's still the old driver.
Please verify Driver version: 8.07 (Bring up your driver properties & hit the I in the upper right corner)
Epilog Firmware version: 1.0.3.0 (when you turn it on)

Mark Conde
07-28-2011, 9:23 AM
WOW--- I am about two weeks away from getting a new computer -- 64 bit, Win 7 with my Epilog laser. And now I am not so anxious to get it.
It just seems wrong that there are so many issues using the most current technology available. Not cool.

Dale Lovell
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Rich, I'm running 64 bit 7 using X5 and have not had any Corel problems using big files, but I have had many problems with windows recognizing the correct driver for the Epilog. I am using the USB connection and not the ethernet. Once it's recognized there are no problems. When I boot I have to go into the "Printers and Devices" folder under the "Control Panel" and make sure I have a green check mark on the Epilog. If it's a yellow check mark I have to remove the device then restart the Epilog to get it to see it. Sometimes even that doesn't fix it and I have to troubleshoot and re-install the driver.

Craig Matheny
07-28-2011, 1:30 PM
Maybe it is the new computer system is it an Intel or AMD processor how fast is the processor, how much ram do you have, how fast is the front side bus is it a built in video card and how much ram or is it shared. I have had my new 64 bit system for over 3 months cutting 1.5meg and larger files with many small lines but i combine them all (not sure this matters).

My system is an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.2 GHz 12 GB Ram 2600MHz front side bus. Was running a lap top prior to this but the lap tops don't have the power IMHO as a desk top.

This is just for those in the post that said they have issues is your system Intel or AMD I'm curious on this.

John Noell
07-28-2011, 4:27 PM
Based on my experience the 64 bit drives are VERY problematic. Why not use the 32 bit version of Win 7 and the drivers? I see no performance differences between my 64 bit (design box) and 32 bit (laser computer) systems. The same install code works for both 64 bit and 32 bit Win7 so there is no extra cost to switching.

Tim Bateson
07-28-2011, 4:40 PM
The 64bit has a few bugs, but once you get use to them it's no big deal (save often). Having tested a dual loaded 32/64bit beta win7, I much prefer the 64bit. With my Intel Duo Core/Win7 64bit, I spend a lot less time waiting for programs to load.
Note: John, I recall you had additional issues with 64bit & in your case, you are right - 32bit works just fine.

John Noell
07-28-2011, 5:43 PM
Well, with Win7 Ultimate (retail version) I saw no difference in load times between 64 adn 32 bit. However, once I switched to a SSD HD for my main drive I never looked back. MUCH(!!) faster boot times and MUCH faster program load times.

rich shepard
07-28-2011, 8:46 PM
Rich, It sounds more like you are still using the previous driver/firmware combo. You said you downloaded & are using the latest driver & firmware. Are you sure? These can sometimes be tricky. I know for myself & others we have tried to upgrade & it seemed successful only to find out it's still the old driver.
Please verify Driver version: 8.07 (Bring up your driver properties & hit the I in the upper right corner)
Epilog Firmware version: 1.0.3.0 (when you turn it on)

Hi Tim
yes, the latest driver and frameware even went through all the steps to make sure with Epilog support. Might be ram as it only has 4 gig but then the files are not all that big. Tried to do one of them by only cutting 1/4 of it same problem. Got about half way on the print then locked up. You'd think you could buy a system with the 32 bit version already installed and not have to buy another disc.
Am seeing if they can find the problem with my XP machine and with luck will just use it for the laser.
Did learn talking to my cumputer guy that 7 pro in the XP mode does have problems finding hardware. Runs the programs find just can't find my laser. Have not loaded the printer in yet.
Thanks fore all the info and help.
rich

Craig Matheny
07-29-2011, 1:56 PM
Just curious the people with the issues on there 64 bit units are you running Intel or AMD. So far I have seen one post stating an Intel system Mine is AMD 64 bit with 12 gigs of ram never had an issue. I wonder if it in how the two different processors do their math?

Kevin L. Waldron
07-29-2011, 3:17 PM
If all else fails try this............http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/061976.htmlhttp://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/061976.html works like a charm and allows multi-xp environments.....as well as native win 7.... we have many problem software's and when they catch up with hardware....... then we will bring them back into the 64 bit environment.......in the meantime Oracle virtualization works great and you can run a program that doesn't play well with others into just one Windows Xp enviroment and then open another XP enviroment......... limited only by computer memory..... usb and drives can be setup to auto attach. You will still have access to Win 7 but now it's like having access to multi-pc's on your screen.

Kevin

Cherie Irwin
07-29-2011, 6:17 PM
Rich, I'm running 64 bit 7 using X5 and have not had any Corel problems using big files, but I have had many problems with windows recognizing the correct driver for the Epilog. I am using the USB connection and not the ethernet. Once it's recognized there are no problems. When I boot I have to go into the "Printers and Devices" folder under the "Control Panel" and make sure I have a green check mark on the Epilog. If it's a yellow check mark I have to remove the device then restart the Epilog to get it to see it. Sometimes even that doesn't fix it and I have to troubleshoot and re-install the driver.

I had the same problem and went through all of the same things that you have gone through including re-installing the driver. I don't use Corel, but it was definitely the driver/USB connection. The 64 bit driver is the only driver that has ever been installed on my computer. I downloaded it from Epilog when I received my machine last month. But, I had a really tough time with getting the driver to work properly with my Windows 7 64 bit laptop, via the USB connection. I've finally figured out that I need to turn on my laser and my computer before inserting the USB cord into my laptop. If I do that, the laser driver works with zero errors. However, if I connect the two before turning on the laser, I will have to disconnect it and reboot my computer in order to get it to work. Now, I just follow that same procedure every time, and I have no problems.

Sterling Wong
07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I get that problem very often. When I print and click on properties Coreldraw freezes (coreldrawx4, win 7 64 bit) happens on both my laptop and desktop. You don't have to restart computer, just Ctrl alt del taskmanager and shutdown corel. It will print normally once you reopen the program.

I also have a usb connection problem (both laptop and desktop again). Most times I start the machine and it will not print because the file does not send to the printer. I have to replug the usb like.... #$&@*@&#)!* number of times until it will finally send the job.

But yeah , no need to restart computer for the print / freezing issue, just shut down corel and reopen.

Tim Bateson
07-30-2011, 11:08 AM
In my case killing Corel doesn't resolve the print driver issue. Only a computer reboot will clear the locked print driver.

I also have issues occasionally where I'll send a few jobs to the laser, then nothing.. It appears the print got sent successfully, but no new jobs show up on the laser. In this case only shutting down & restarting the laser will resolve it. Then in most cases the queued up jobs will appear on the laser.

rich shepard
07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Sterling
Mine locked up after I hit send to the laser, have no problem setting the properties or checking it in print preview just after I hit print. The task manager would not even close corel on either the laptop or new desktop Not a problem now as they got my XP machine fixed last night so back up and running, but would like a fix other then spending more money on the 32 bit version.
thanks
rich

John Noell
07-30-2011, 3:30 PM
I tried both, with the same results.

Sterling Wong
07-30-2011, 8:10 PM
When I open task manager to shut down Corel (when it locks up during print / properties), it won't shut it down just like that, you have to click on coreldraw (on the taskbar) then it will finish crashing. Well that is how it works for me though.

Craig Matheny
07-30-2011, 8:23 PM
Rich, Tim, Sterling what computer system do you have amd, Intel how much ram?

John Noell
07-30-2011, 9:15 PM
... but would like a fix other then spending more money on the 32 bit version.
thanks
richNo need to spend more money! You bought a code that is legally good for either 32 or 64 bit versions (but you cannot use it for more than one computer!). If you cannot find anyone closer I can mail you a 32-bit install DVD. It is TOTALLY legal to use that code for whichever version you want. (The Ultimate version comes with both DVDs in the package. And actually, all versions are on every Win7 DVD, although the DVD will also contain a small file [rather easily removed :)) that says which version it is supposed to be used with. The keycode also specifies the version [Home, Pro, Ultimate] but not 32 vs 64 bit.)

rich shepard
07-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the offer John. I'm fine right now as they got my XP machine back up and running. So will look for a 32 bit version around here as the cumputer did not come with a disk but did find site were you can download one. I tried to download it but my connect in the shop lost part of it so need to download it again one of these days and see if it fixes the problem
thanks
rich

Sterling Wong
07-31-2011, 4:07 AM
The computer I'm running the machine with is an Amd phenom II x4 955, 6 gigs of ram, but it doesn't matter because the other computer I was using was an Intel and it has the same problem.

Robert E Mason
08-05-2011, 6:05 PM
Hi,

Re: the windows 7 64 problem with Corel Draw. I am having exactly the same problem, and prior to upgrading to win7 64 from winXP 32 it never happened. I do files with lots of etching and find that if I send parts of the drawing in smaller batches, rather than all at once that works but it can be a balancing act between sending the drawing in a load of separate cut files and sending just that little bit too much and it crashing.

About it locking up, what I've found is that if you allow Corel to lock up by trying to close it normally you will likely need to completely reboot to be able to clear the print queue but you can sometimes prevent this. When you hit print it's fairly obvious it isn't going to work, the little print icon at the bottom left in Corel hangs around and I find that if you ctrl-alt-delete straight away, rather than trying to close Corel, causing it to hang, and then right click the Corel draw process and 'end process tree' rather than just 'end process' it completely shuts down Corel, including what it's sending to the printer. Doesn't always work but saves me a few reboots, maybe worth a try.
I also found this batch file on the internet for clearing the print queue, it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and I find it only works if I've closed Corel down with the 'end process tree' method rather than allowing it to hang.
1: open up notepad
2: stick this in...

@echo offcls
net stop spooler
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\*.spl
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\*.shd
net start spooler

3: Save this as name.bat, I called mine cancel print jobs.bat
4: save it somewhere you remember, mines on the desktop
5: double click this after forcing Corel to close and it often forces windows to empty the print queue...not the queue on your laser, just the windows one where you can see the ever growing Corel print file :)

Hope some of that is of help, I'm no computer expert by any means but they have helped me a fair few times and saved me a lot of reboots.