PDA

View Full Version : Mini (Really) Gloat

Doug Shepard
02-17-2005, 7:31 PM
LV package at my door today included these little gems.

"Made from Indonesian ebony and brass, each plane has an adjustable high-speed steel (Rc62-64) blade. The block plane footprint is just 3-1/8" x 13/16" and the chisel plane just 2-15/16" x 1/2". Blades are 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick."

The blades are going to need some honing as they dont feel all that sharp. But the soles are flat and holding the blades up to a straight edge, the backs appear to be flat. They're made in China, but there's nothing cheap looking about them. Only the price was cheap - $21.50 for both.
I thought these would come in handy on an upcoming jewelry box project with quite a few small parts. Can't wait to tweak the blades this weekend and try them out on some scrap.

Jim Dunn
02-17-2005, 7:55 PM
Those are really pretty. Is that a violin or a cello your making in the pic?

Doug Shepard
02-17-2005, 8:56 PM
Well actually I lifted the pic from LV's website, so I'm not sure. Looks too small to be a cello though. My other motive for getting these, is that I'm planning on building a mandola. Not sure with the size of my project list if I'll get to it this summer, but the mini block plane should work well for shaping the braces.