PDA

View Full Version : filling cracks in Juniper

Mark Hix
07-27-2011, 4:41 PM
I've been working on some Juniper I picked up a couple of years ago. It is bone dry but full of cracks of all sizes. The cracks in some of my other turnings out of this batch were filled with epoxy. It is so hot that the working time on the epoxy is pretty short. My question is: are there any drawbacks to using Titebond to hold the cracks? I have used it in segmented peices but in those you get the clamps to help. Thanks for your input.

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 5:02 PM
My biggest concern would be that Tightbond would shrink as it dries. It is not meant to be a gap filler. Maybe some Thick Gap Filling CA could work for you? It may stain so I am not sure if that is the way to go.

Bill Bolen
07-27-2011, 6:28 PM
My best results still seem to be packing the crack with fine sawdust and filling the dust with thin CA. Bigger cracks I half fill and glue then do it again till filled.

James Combs
07-27-2011, 6:45 PM
My best results still seem to be packing the crack with fine sawdust and filling the dust with thin CA. Bigger cracks I half fill and glue then do it again till filled.

Ditto what Bill says, I also add blue tape along the crack to avoid staining/coloring areas I don't want stained with CA.

Scott Hackler
07-27-2011, 7:09 PM
I agree with the sawdust and CA. Have done it several times and it works well. Regular Tightbond wouldn't be my choice as a "filler" glue.

Dennis Simmons
07-27-2011, 7:18 PM
I have never had problems with Titebond and shavings, If it has cracked, it most likely will not move. Try it. titebond III

Mark Hix
07-27-2011, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I will give it a try just to see what happens. Could be fun.

Tom Wilson66
07-27-2011, 9:29 PM
One way to extend the working time for epoxy in hot weather is to put the mixing cup in a bowl of ice water (with ice cubes, even). This will allow a lot of extra time for working. After you put the epoxy on the wood, it will warm quickly and cure as normal.