PDA

View Full Version : extend-a- sand: worth it , or other options?

robert raess
07-27-2011, 4:35 PM
For sanding Hollow forms and various applications in turning I have considered the Extend-a-sand by sanding glove.I just can't get the price, $145 or more.I'd be curious what other turners are using for extensions,or if you have the extend-a-sand and are glad you have it, your feedback as well. Thanks Rob

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 5:04 PM
The crrent issue of Woodturning design has a great article on Sanding sticks. I am considering making some myself.

John Keeton
07-27-2011, 5:17 PM
I use a variety of things - a thin fabric work glove to which I hot glue sandpaper on the index finger, several dowels with different angles for sandpaper, and I have a small hook/loop head from Vince that I can get the very bottom with - really helps with the center area. While at AAW, I did pick up a sheet of hook material with a foam backing. I have cut a piece of that and use cut up disks on it - works very well. I also glued a piece to a 3/8" dowel that is cut at about a 45* angle, and that works well, too. Probably will glue a piece to the glove at some point.

David E Keller
07-27-2011, 8:46 PM
I'm not familiar with the device you mentioned, but I prefer the homemade solutions. I've got a thin metal rod with a turned wooden disc that I mount in a dremel for sanding inside HFs. I glued a bit of velcro to the disc, and I cut up my discs from Vince. It makes pretty quick work of tearout in the bottom of those forms.

Rick Markham
07-28-2011, 3:40 AM
I've never considered using a glove and hot gluing paper to the finger. That's a great one. David's dremel idea is a really good one too. Here I've been using a dowel with a wad of cotton tshirt wrapped around the end (like a q-tip) then I wrap the sandpaper over it and tape it with duct tape, Works pretty good. I've been slumming it. My real desire (and what I am trying to work on currently) is to get my finish cuts good enough to not need sanding... I think it is possible. (We all need long term goals) ;)

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-28-2011, 8:08 AM
If you do deep vessels with large enough openings to allow access of the sanding head, there is nothing else out there that will allow you to extend the handle and reach depths of 16 to 20". However, if you make open bowls or hollow forms with small entry holes or even smaller open forms that are not very deep, you won't get the best advantage the tool has to offer. The tool works as advertised but having bought it and finding few if any shapes for which it has been a "life saver", I must say that for me....I could have used that money for something more useful. As for the price, the machining is incredible. It is made like an aluminum work of art. Does that translate into a tool you will grab for daily, only you know your needs.
faust

Jim Burr
07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
If I get back to posting pic again...I'll try to get a shot of it, but this will have to do;
12" x 1/2"(or other desirable size)All thread, a wood disc with the correct size hole drilled in the middle and attached to the all thread. Foam pad glued to the pad with fabric over that, burlap works well. Velcro backed sandpaper pressed onto fabric...you can glue velcro hook onto the fabric if you want. Insert through opening and have at it.