PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax 14" J/P Combo thoughts

keith denbesten
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm looking at a MiniMax 14" J/P Combo with mortising attachment in great shape for 2700. Comes with a couple of sets of cutters and some mortise bits. So what do you think? Run, Walk, and in which direction?

David Kumm
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I would talk to Charlie Plesums - either his website or MM yahoo group. I have found his posts to be right on regarding all stuff MM. I don't own one but the site does mention some problems with the FS30 regarding the table locking levers but go there for advice. If you go the j-p route you want a high quality machine that retains its settings well as moving tables up and down presents inherent problems with consistency. Dave

Jim Becker
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I own a MiniMax FS350 J/P and love it. I don't have the mortiser, because the generation of the machine I have would put it off the back and I cannot accomodate that in my shop...but I have used on a friend's MM J/P and was impressed with it.

In order to better guide you with the particular machine you're looking at, we need to know more about it. Is it white or yellow? (Yellow is much, much older and doesn't have the Tersa cutter head for the J/P functionality) If it's white with blue trim, it's more recent and unless abused, that would be a really nice deal. Can you get pictures?
-----

David, the FS30 is a lower end/smaller machine at 12". All of the 350mm (~14") MiniMax J/P machines are much stouter.

keith denbesten
07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Jim thanks for the info. It is a yellow one. After reading your report I've decided to pass on it. There was a bit of noise as it was winding down that made me think bearing ( or a flat belt) that had me concerned. If anyone is interested I'll pass on the info. It's in Santa Cruz,CA

David Kumm
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Keith, whatever you find keep in mind that the bearings are likely due for changing if over 10 years old and sealed. The less the machine has been used, the more likely the grease in the seal has gone gunky. Oil bath bearings last the longest, greased bearings might be OK but if overfilled and left to sit are probably gunky as well. Good luck. Dave