PDA

View Full Version : Importing Files To Plasma Cam

Ray Mighells
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Anybody know how to import a Corel file into PlasmaCam to cut metal? Bitmaps are supposed to import but the PlasmaCam does not recognize the files. All suggestions welcome.

Joe De Medeiros
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I would try exporting from Corel into autocad DXF format, most cam programs can read dxf

Dan Hintz
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm not familiar with it, but I would be surprised if a CAM program read in bitmaps... not a useful format for CAM.

Joe De Medeiros
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Ray, out of curiosity what does one of these systems cost, without the plasma cutter.

George M. Perzel
07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Ray;
OK- what are you doing NOW? You are supposed to be retired and not doing anything new but getting ready to move to Florida-give me a call and we'll figure this out.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George D Gabert
07-27-2011, 2:35 PM
Plasma Cam accepts .bmp or .DXF. The Plasma cam can convert .bmp to its native line code. It should be like around 300 dpi. It can also accept .dxf but it must be R12 (I can confirm if required). We typically use DXF from our drawing program becaus it gives scaled dimensions.

Regards
GDG

Dan Hintz
07-27-2011, 2:52 PM
What does it do with BMPs, edge detection of B/W images?

James Rambo
07-27-2011, 6:21 PM
I recently received this.

Ray Mighells
07-27-2011, 6:54 PM
Joe, the unit is on sale for 3K off, so the cost with the height adjustment was 8.33K plus $400 freight. A good cutter was 2.3K

George, this was for my cousins husband a top notch CNC Machinist. He's 61 now and work is not that steady so crappy retirement plan. We figured that by the time he is ready to retire he could have a viable business on the side. She had a heart transplant and he has had 2 heart by-pass surgeries, so they have a lot of expenses. He's smart and a hard worker so I think he will make it happen.

George M. Perzel
07-28-2011, 1:02 AM
Ray;
Great-hollar if I can help.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George D Gabert
07-28-2011, 8:40 AM
It does a trace similar towhat corell does. It gives several options as how long to make the lines and several other clean up options. But it is still very basic. My understanding is tht like my friend it is more for ornamental iron work where accuracy is not a requirement, converting copied are is no big deal.

It still does a decent job on mechanical parts.

GDG