PDA

View Full Version : Frankenplane - User or Loser?

Charles Wiggins
07-27-2011, 9:14 AM
I recently acquired an apparently unidentifiable, cobbled together #6 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169915-Plane-Identification-Help). It has a no-namo body, Bedrock-like frog which seems to be from a #5 1/2, and it came without irons or a lever-cap. Is this thing even worth messing with? If I decide to do a rehab and make a user out of it would it be better to get 2 1/4" irons to match the frog or a 2 3/8" cutter to match the mouth? Or should I look for another frog?

James Scheffler
07-27-2011, 10:09 AM
You can probably pick up a complete No. 6 in good condition, from Stanley or one of the other quality manufacturers, for $50 +/-. This would be at dealer prices. There is always a chance to find one for cheaper, but if you want to buy from a reputable dealer and be done with it, that's a good ballpark price. Now consider that a blade and cap iron from Hock or Lee Valley will run around $60. Then you still need a lever cap. Once you get the plane all cobbled together, it may not work well.

If it were me, I would just buy a good complete one. Keep the old one, as parts may fall into your lap over time to complete it - you never know.

Jim S.

Zahid Naqvi
07-27-2011, 10:31 AM
In my experience used hand planes are so easy to acquire and there are so many of them out there you can easily get another one in the same price range in a much better condition. Sell this as a collector item and buy a new one in better condition.

Jim Koepke
07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I recently acquired an apparently unidentifiable, cobbled together #6 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169915-Plane-Identification-Help). It has a no-namo body, Bedrock-like frog which seems to be from a #5 1/2, and it came without irons or a lever-cap. Is this thing even worth messing with? If I decide to do a rehab and make a user out of it would it be better to get 2 1/4" irons to match the frog or a 2 3/8" cutter to match the mouth? Or should I look for another frog?

Looking at the original pictures it looks like the frog is seated well.

What is the exact width of the mouth?

My first thought would be to use 2-1/4" parts. They would be more difficult to find than the 2-3/8"

The mouth opening needs to be about 2-7/16" to 2-1/2" to use a 2-3/8" blade.

If the frog does seat at the front and back, it may be a very solid user. Almost like the Bedrock design without the provenance.

Stanley parts has the Double Iron (blade and chip breaker) and the lever cap listed for about $30 + shipping.

If it needs the 2-1/4", my propensity would be to spend a little time at the grinder.

For all we know you could have some prototype that somehow ended up in the wild.

jtk

Peter Scoma
07-27-2011, 8:28 PM
Yep. Start hunting for a "new" number 6. Stake out the bay for auctions that close in the wee hours. I always seem to do best on those.

PJS