PDA

View Full Version : this one beat me up...

Russell Eaton
07-27-2011, 7:38 AM
This is the Spalted Ambrosia Maple bowl that I have been working on. I turned it outboard on my 1642. It finished at just over 17 1/4" and is about6" tall. As you can tell the bowl is turned from end grain and that is the reason for the beating. I found the best results were from a round nose scraper. It was the only tool that I could get anything other than sawdust off of. It is sanded to 400 grit and has 2 coats of Walnut oil finish. It darkened a little more than I would have liked but I am proud of the bowl. I like the bigger bowls but NOT the end grain. The last picture is the home made tool rest that I used for this project. I hope you enjoy and thanks for looking. Russell

Dale Miner
07-27-2011, 8:23 AM
That certainly is a LOT of end grain hollowing. I can definately see where the "beat me up" comes from. Looks like it would have been a good candidate for a large hook tool.

At least the outside turned fairly easy compared to the inside, eh?

Did you have any issue with the free standing tool rest moving about?

Russell Eaton
07-27-2011, 8:34 AM
Dale when I turned the outside it was not a problem. The inside is a different story. I had to add the flat steel on one of the feet. That allowed me to stand on it and my body weight (witch is more that it should be) let me keep it in pace. I centered it on the leg so it would be easy to rest on from either side. It was quite comfortable and did a great job. The best thing about this piece was the wood was FREE. Thanks for the comment. Russell

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 8:38 AM
WOW that is a big bowl. Very nicely done. I have never turned Ambrosia Maple, is the pith a concern? Did you CA it to hold it together or something else? Nice work in the toolrest. I am needing a part before I can turn outboard but will splurge soon. I was thinking of using one of those rolling lumber supports that you can use to catch long pieces off your tablesaw or mitersaw. Your's looks much more sturdy than that though. Nice work on both. Thanks for sharing.

charlie knighton
07-27-2011, 8:48 AM
nice big bowl, big bowl, big bowl

thanks for sharing

Russell Eaton
07-27-2011, 9:01 AM
Chris, the log that I turned that out of has been cut for about 5 years and stored under shelter. It was tough to turn for the start. I had a solid pith in the bowl blank and tried to center it in the bottom. It is about 3/8" off, but that is what you get. Just so you know, I have about 8 1/2 hours just in turning this bowl. Scrape for a while then sharpen and back to the lathe. It was fun but I am going to have to wait for another big blank before I do it again. Thanks for the comments.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2011, 9:22 AM
End grain hollowing can be done with a pull cut [bowl gouge] from the center back to the rim. I have had good success with that method............I wonder about the long term effect of the pith being centered in this bowl..........it is a very nice bowl, however, that pith looks like it will crack up to the sides.........hope you have it stabilized well.

Nice work.......nice outboard stand as well.

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Really nice big bowl. Well done.

John Keeton
07-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Russell, I think it was worth the fight!! Really a striking pattern with the radiating Ambrosia and spalting. Nice setup on that outboard rig, too!

Jon Nuckles
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Long after the beating is forgotten, you'll still have that awesome figure to marvel at. Nice work.

Scott Hackler
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice bowl. The colors in the maple are great. Thats a lot of ambrosia staining! As meantioned above, if you dare to try it again, a pull cut with the gouge left in one spot while you move the handle (ala David Ellsworth technique) works pretty decent on end grain.

Gary Conklin
07-27-2011, 1:00 PM
You need to give Jeff Nicols tool a try on that endgrain.

http://youtu.be/TyN-RZOPB4M

Greg Just
07-27-2011, 1:14 PM
Very nice bowl. Love the ambrosia pattern. Is your outboard setup attached to your lathe?

bob svoboda
07-27-2011, 1:35 PM
Nice bowl! Really like the pattern the end grain orientation gives it.

Scott Hussey
07-27-2011, 4:50 PM
Nice bowl! I'm more interested in the outboard rest. It looks like it's some angle iron welded together with an adjustable height tool rest. Did you design/fabricate this yourself? I'd be curious to hear how you did it and how(if at all) you attach it to your lathe.

Russell Eaton
07-27-2011, 6:15 PM
The stand is not attached to the lathe. It is made of angle iron. I made it in about 2 hours. I welded the legs to a piece of round sleeve over a a piece with the proper 1" hole for the post. I then drilled a hole through the 2 pieces of round stock. Threaded those with a tap, then I welded a nut to the hole while it had a bolt threaded through both tubes and the nut. The most crucial part is making sure the post is level. That takes 2 people. I can post photos if you like. Just let me know. By the way, I am not a welder just a good grinder...

Curt Fuller
07-27-2011, 9:06 PM
That's a beautiful bowl. I like the whole log, end grain orientation. It's a lot of work but it really made a nice bowl.

David E Keller
07-27-2011, 9:28 PM
Such a neat looking piece! I don't know how durable the endgrain style will be for daily use if that's your intention, but it's certainly a looker. Looks like it could use another coat or two of oil. Really a stunning piece of wood, and the endgrain orientation really highlights that figure. Kudos!

Baxter Smith
07-27-2011, 9:45 PM
Nice bowl! Big too! Never considered doing that with maple that large. Makes a striking impression.

Jeff Nicol
07-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Russsell, As the little video shows, I figured out a good way to hollow in endgrain with the drill bit cutter. It will cut on the push and pull cuts and I use it on a lot of different turning situations also. Easy to make and use aslo, and like Scott and others have said using a bowl gouge in a pull cut will work well on a bowl.

Nice size for the bowl and full of bug holes and ambrosia staining. Good job on the stand, but that is the problem with a free standing outbaord tool stand, is that they need to have some weight to keep them stable. Or they need to be attached to the lathe, I have made both and the free standing ended up having a plate to stand on also. Working on another with some improvements right now, hope it is everything I can hope for.

Keep on spinning,

Jeff

Michael James
07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Quite the ambrosia statement there....I'd be proud to take the a**whoopin to claim that one. +1 on bowl gouge and Nicol's hollowing device.
mj