PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Magazine - April 2009 Workbench Anyone Build This?

Ken Frohnert
07-27-2011, 6:59 AM
I am working on a small 12x20 shop area. Waiting on a garage door now should be a couple of weeks. But I will need a small workbench for in it. I was thinking a small heavy duty fixed bench and a small rolling assembly table. I saw a plan on line for a workbench that does not look to difficult to build but would have some storage space. The plans were just that no directions - apparently they came from the April 2009 Workbench Magazine. I get Shopnotes but not Workbench. The plans have abbreviations like 8x2 1/2 FHWS - which is some type of bolt or screw just not sure what FHWS stands for. That is probably in the article from the April 2009 issue. Here is a link to the plans:

http://www.woodworkcity.com/wordpress/2011/07/08/free-workbench-plans-from-workbench-magazine/
(http://www.woodworkcity.com/wordpress/2011/07/08/free-workbench-plans-from-workbench-magazine/)
Has anyone built this bench and if so how do you like it?

Based on the experience here does this look like a fairly easy build - for say an advanced beginner type? Does it look like it would be fairly sturdy? I will work mostly with machines (currently no power) - not hand tools so would this bench be a good choice?

I also need ideas for like a small rolling assembly table - maybe like 4' long. So if someone has some ideas please advise.

Thanks,
Ken

Larry Anderson
07-27-2011, 9:51 AM
That's a neat looking bench. FHWS=flat head wood screw.

Gary Radice
07-27-2011, 12:20 PM
It looks very sturdy. You might want to modify the base a bit so it has some space for your toes when you are facing it.

David Goodnuff
07-27-2011, 5:05 PM
I know it is not what you asked but you could also check out the finewoodworking.com getting started in woodworking video series for the workbench they made. I made theirs and its pretty great for the cost/effort/skill required.

Ken Frohnert
07-27-2011, 8:54 PM
Gary, when you say modify for toe room would you just bring the top out a little further forward in the front? If about how much 6" or so? Thanks