PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Elf on Acacia

Kathy Marshall
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Here's another try with the decorating elf. I wanted to do something quick, so I found a small acacia log and cut it in half length wise. It's about 5" x 2 1/2" or so, with just a coat of DO. I think I may just add another coat of DO tomorrow, then buff after it's cured.

I'm getting a little better feel for how much pressure to use, and this cut better I think because it was dryer than the mesquite. As far as hardness, acacia and mesquite seem to be pretty similar. I think I'll turn the other half of the log tomorrow.

203181 203180
203183 203182

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Jon Nuckles
07-27-2011, 12:50 AM
That looks great, Kathy, and the decorations show up much more clearly. You learn quickly! You also turn quickly; I can't believe how many finished turnings you complete. You are an inspiration.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2011, 7:34 AM
Nice stuff Kathy! That bowl has mostly sapwood.............and the heartwood is just an accent.......makes for a visually pleasing bowl! I like your work with the elf.....................I think you may have found a unique signature style with it as well. I think the form on the bowl itself is very good........very utilitarian and well proportioned.

The hits just keep on coming from AZ! :)

Doug W Swanson
07-27-2011, 8:07 AM
Hi Kathy,
That's a great looking bowl. I really like the sharp contrast in the wood and the decorations on the rim really add a nice touch!

You must be fully healed now as you seem to be kicking them out as fast as before!

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 9:04 AM
Ohhh just something quick.......That bowl is great. I turned a quick bowl the other day, it would have fit in the foot of this one and it seemed like it took several hours. I am really likeing this tool more and more. Very nice job Kathy, and glad you are back and feeling strong again.

Eric Holmquist
07-27-2011, 9:33 AM
Beautiful work, and kudos on your speedy development of Elfwork skills

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Really nice bowl Kathy. Contrasting wood looks really good as does your elf work.

John Keeton
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Kathy, until now, I was relatively unimpressed with this type of tool, but this one may have pushed me over the edge! Nice work, and the tooling shows much better on this one. It is also apparent that one can "plan" the end effect by creating a cove, embellishing it, and then profiling the area on either side to leave the tooled area as an accent.

Nice work!!

Scott Hackler
07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Looks great Kathy. I found that the Elf needs tight grained, dry wood to show the pattern the best.

John, in the demo he showed making coves, emblellishing and then framing the decoration with a point tool. That cove technique really works well using the round cutter bit.

Curt Fuller
07-27-2011, 9:10 PM
Wow Kathy, that's a beauty. It's just enough detail to catch your eye but not so much as to overwhelm the bowl. Very nice!

David E Keller
07-27-2011, 9:24 PM
Neat piece, Kathy! I love that you took the time to add the little something extra to the bottom... Those little details make all the difference!

BILL DONAHUE
07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
That's a very nice piece. Not sure what a decorating elf is so a GOOGLE search is my next move. The little decorative touch on the bottom is particularly cool.

Kathy Marshall
07-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I turned a smaller brother tonight out of the other half of the log. It has alot less sapwood and I did the rim a little different, but the elf did a great job on it!
So many toys....so little time!

Hi Kathy,
That's a great looking bowl. I really like the sharp contrast in the wood and the decorations on the rim really add a nice touch!

You must be fully healed now as you seem to be kicking them out as fast as before!
I'm feeling pretty good (and it's good to be back in the shop!). I have my follow up on friday and I'm hoping I'll get the ok for heavier lifting so I can get some chainsaw work done!

Kathy, until now, I was relatively unimpressed with this type of tool, but this one may have pushed me over the edge! Nice work, and the tooling shows much better on this one. It is also apparent that one can "plan" the end effect by creating a cove, embellishing it, and then profiling the area on either side to leave the tooled area as an accent.

Nice work!!
Thanks John! From the video, there's so many different patterns and textures that can be made just by moving the position of the tool and using the different bits. CSUSA has a video of it on their website that gives an idea of what can be done with it.

Looks great Kathy. I found that the Elf needs tight grained, dry wood to show the pattern the best.

John, in the demo he showed making coves, emblellishing and then framing the decoration with a point tool. That cove technique really works well using the round cutter bit.
Thanks Scott! Yep the dryer acacia did show much cleaner cuts, but the acacia was still green enough to still have some pulled fibers that the brush couldn't clean up completely like it would with dryer wood. Hopefully I'll have plenty of time to do some experimenting over the weekend!

That's a very nice piece. Not sure what a decorating elf is so a GOOGLE search is my next move. The little decorative touch on the bottom is particularly cool.
Thanks Bill! Check out CSUSA and just do a search for the decorating elf, they have a video demo on their site.

John Hart
07-28-2011, 1:06 PM
I wanted to start something quick m'self. So I took this piece of mesquite that I got from an Arizona chick....and put it on the lathe about three weeks ago....then every now and then, I actually turn the lathe on!!!! Woo Hoo!! and then sometimes, I pick up a tool!!!!

I'd tell ya the rest, but you'd get all slobbery. :)

Nice work Kathy....these types of embellishments are in my next evolutionary stage.

Kathy Marshall
07-29-2011, 1:05 AM
I wanted to start something quick m'self. So I took this piece of mesquite that I got from an Arizona chick....and put it on the lathe about three weeks ago....then every now and then, I actually turn the lathe on!!!! Woo Hoo!! and then sometimes, I pick up a tool!!!!

I'd tell ya the rest, but you'd get all slobbery. :)

Nice work Kathy....these types of embellishments are in my next evolutionary stage.
You're such a tease John! But I'll be waiting patiently to see what your AZ mesquite "turns" into (and I'll do it without the drool no less)!

Baxter Smith
07-29-2011, 6:23 AM
Pretty bowl Kathy. The accents at the rim and foot add a nice touch!