PDA

View Full Version : Vortex of the Beast

Scott Hackler
07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
This little dude has occupied my time for quite a while. It is my entry in the "Beast" category on Woodturners America's contest. I have at minimum 12 hours in this project, which seems litle a lot concidering the smallish size. I decided that this was my "Beast" because before I finally finished it I had broke it 5 times, during finishing!! Good thing is that it was so thin that it glued back completely flush and pretty hidden. This is a piece of Osage Orange (hedge) that measures 5" x 2 1/2" and is a very consistant 1/16" thick to the base. I pryo'd the edges with the burner. Finished with thinned shellac and Ren wax.

I am SOOOO glad to had this one done. I like the end result, but it was too difficult to handle after the piercing (because of the thickness).

The first picture is the entry (artsy) photo. I included the second for a differently lit version for your viewing.

Anyway, here is is. Comments and critiques are always welcome, thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Scott that is a cool piece. I like it. I know I wouldn't have the patience myself.

David E Keller
07-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Very, very cool, Scott! I love the change in appearance between the two photos. There's not much to criticize, but I'll offer a few thoughts about future forms(If you're crazy enough to ever do it again!). I'd love to see the top of the form end in a sharp point though there's nothing wrong with it as is. The only other thought would be to eliminate the solid wood at the base entirely and bring the pierced area around into a near full circle... I'm not sure if that would give it enough support to stand on it's own, but it would be a great visual.

This is a pretty amazing piece, and I think you stand to do very well in the contest! I'm really looking forward to seeing your beauty now 'cause your beast is awesome!

Paulo Marin
07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Now that I have become a woodturning collector, this piece would definitely be in my living room. Great piece Scott.. Can you briefly describe the process? The piercing is intense.. Love the creativity!
Congratulations!
Paulo Marin

Kathy Marshall
07-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Way Cool Scott! This is an amazing piece and I really like it!
I'm going to predict that it makes the cover of WoW in the near future!
Excellent Job!

Tim Thiebaut
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Very nice Scott, love the lighting effect in the first picture...

Jon Nuckles
07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Nice turning, piercing and photography, Scott. That first photo should come with a soundtrack -- very dramatic.

Alan Trout
07-27-2011, 1:19 AM
Awesome piece Scott Very well done. I am still wondering if I have time to enter that contest. But that is one heck of a beast.

Alan

Bob Rotche
07-27-2011, 6:39 AM
Very impressive, Scott! Obviously well done technically but what I really admire is your creativity and willingness to step outside the box.

Russell Eaton
07-27-2011, 7:19 AM
That is just plain cool. I can see now how it would break 5 times. I just wonder if you said as many bad word on the 5th break as you did on the 1st?

charlie knighton
07-27-2011, 7:26 AM
very nice, and thanks for sharing, i can understand relief at finishing it, i would be scared to breath just holding it

Roger Chandler
07-27-2011, 7:28 AM
Over the top! Seeing that kind of artwork, makes me realize why I am drawn more to the functional type of woodworking pieces...........I just don't have the desire [at this point] to turn something, then take most of it away ............maybe I'll never rise to the status of a genuine "R-teeest" but that is okay.

Sure is a lot of work in that one Scott............at least your creativity is firing on all cylinders..........nice piercings and conceptually this is just real good.

John Keeton
07-27-2011, 7:38 AM
Scott, you did a wonderful job on this!! I could tell from prior comments that it was going to push the envelope of fragility and it certainly did not disappoint!! Great work! There is no way I have the patience for this type of turning. Never having done anything like this, I wonder - could one do the piercing before the inside was turned away?? Perhaps that would make it impossible to finish turn - I just have never thought through the process.

In any event, I wish you luck in the contest!!

Paul Grant
07-27-2011, 7:39 AM
I now obviously have no artistic ability...you must have stole it all. Very nice job on a cool design. Funny thing, until I read the post I thought it was much taller.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-27-2011, 8:05 AM
Scott,
This piece is so far out of the box you can't even see the box. Wonderful thin turning and piercing. Piercing, which is currently unique will quickly become more common as more artists choose it as a decorating medium. You've kept it unique by showing the effect light can have when shown through the pierced shape. Another well thought out piece. Congratulations.
faust

Doug W Swanson
07-27-2011, 8:11 AM
Scott,
I don't know if I'd have the patience to do something like that. Plus I think I'd need to get my eyes examined after I was done!

I think it turned out great!

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 8:51 AM
Scott,
That is amazing. This is the article I want to see in Woodturning Digest.....by the way the candlestick article was spot on. Every piece you do seems to spend more time off the lathe than on than the last. Before you know it they won't see the lathe and you will be hand carving, piercing and burning them on while you watch the game. I would like to have seen something different w/ the foot, maybe a small light in there shining up through the piercings...... but who am I to say anything. This would not have made it off the lathe at 1/16th much less through everything else. I think Roger said it best, You are turning into a true 'R-Teeeest'. Thanks for sharing, the folks at the competition are going to mess themselves when you unveil this 'Beast'

Eric Holmquist
07-27-2011, 9:37 AM
Amazing! The nice blend of piercing and cut-aways to form the helix are a great combination. I've been too worried about breakage to combine the two.

Tom Hamilton
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Scott, awesome and awe inspiring. Congrats on a significant accomplishment. And also on your article in the Aug 2011 issue of Woodturning Design.

Now, to second Paulo's request, what is the process?

All the best, Tom, in Douglasville, continuously amazing at the talent on/in the Creek.

Larry Marley
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Nice work Scott.

Robert McGowen
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Very nice, Scott. Looks like a mild breeze might break it.

Scott Hackler
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is appreciated.

This form was created by turning the "V" shape, finishing the outside, turning it down to 1/16" thickness, then while in the chuck I gave it a slight spin and drew the basic spiral on the outside by moving a pencil across the form from bottom to top. Then I hand drew another line between this line and as a reference colored in between two of the lines, around the entire form. This gave me the parts to be removed so I wouldn't get confused as I went around. Next I used an air autobody saw, with a fine tooth blade and cut along the lines removing the unwanted parts. I used a rotary sanding drum on the die grinder to clean up the saw edges and to clean up and taper the base. By eye, I pierced the whole thing over several evenings and burnt the edges to highlight them. I coated the whoel thing in thinned shellac and sanded it back with 400. (broke it 3 times doing this!) Glued it back together and touched up the glue lines with the 400. Gentally coated it with Ren wax and lightly buffed with a paper towel. Jumped up and down in celebration that it was done! Or something like that.

Things I learned: Do the shellac soak and sand back BEFORE piercing so its more stable. Figure out how to terminate the "ribbon" ahead of time. Clean the carbide cutter off every 4-5 holes when piercing hedge. The carbon buildup happened fast on the hedge. When cutting out the trash areas, do it in 1-2" increments, as the vibration gets to crazy.

Hope this sheds some light on this project.

Thanks again for the comments.

Harvey Ghesser
07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Scott, very beautiful indeed!

Dane Fuller
07-27-2011, 1:07 PM
Scott,
What can I say that hasn't already been said? It's beautiful! If this is your "Beast", your "Beauty" will knock our collective socks off.

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2011, 1:13 PM
I have actually contemplated something like this, inspired by MC Escher's "ribbon faces" drawings. Looking at this and reading your comments about the difficulties involved make me think it might be a good thing that I have not yet attempted it! It's a fascinating piece although, like others, I would like to see the pierced spiral continue into the base. It's pretty nice looking for a "beast" although I can see how it would have been a "beastly" undertaking...

Richard Kennedy UK
07-27-2011, 1:50 PM
Very nice I love the spiral foot might be a bit big but hey at the end of the day you have created a truly great piece! and 12 hours thats nothing! the piercing vortex is grabbing your ankles

Scott Hackler
07-27-2011, 2:02 PM
Thanks for the additional comments.

Billy Tallant
07-27-2011, 2:21 PM
Scott,
That piece is simply amazing! That piercing is something elso also. I think my patience would have run out before that project ever got 1/2 off the ground. Wonderful job!

Lionel Mercier
07-27-2011, 2:41 PM
an amount of work, but it's worth.
Handle with care!
I especially like the first image (dramatic)

Steve bellinger
07-27-2011, 6:10 PM
ounce again i should look before i run my mouth. Scott one more knock out for sure. And ounce again good luck, though i don't really think luck has anything to do with these great pieces you are showing.:D

Baxter Smith
07-27-2011, 9:51 PM
I think you go this one "thin enough"! Great concept and execution Scott. The contrast in flipping back and forth between the two pictures is very neat!

Jeff Nicol
07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Scott, I can see that you have finally lost your mind! Is this the type of thing that got Van Gogh to lop off his ear? You know what they say "There is a fine line between genius and lunacy!"

Nice job and good luck with the contest, I need to pay attention more to these things, when is the contest over? I guess I can look it up myself, but seems easier this way!

Awesome my friend,

Jeff

Johnny Taylor
07-28-2011, 8:11 AM
Scott, that's great and well worth all the effort! I'm not sure about what's left of the vessels original foot, I think if it were mine I'd cut the spiral off that foot and mount it on a purpose made base at an angle. That's just me though, its a fantastic piece and you should be well proud of it! Good luck with it in the competition.

Alan Zenreich
07-28-2011, 9:15 AM
Lovely piece Scott... well done.

Prashun Patel
07-28-2011, 9:22 AM
Scott, this piece is inspiring. Really beautiful work. The fragility and complexity of completing this show in yr final work. Good luck in the contest.

Cathy Schaewe
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Amazing. I believe I would have cried upon breaking it the first time ... the second would have been the end of the road.

Rob Cunningham
07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
That's a really cool piece Scott. Way out of the box thinking.
You must have the patience of Job to complete something like that. Very well done.

Bill Wyko
07-28-2011, 2:34 PM
You're gonna be a major contender in the contest we're in. That is truly an amazing piece. Just curious, how long did it take you?

Scott Hackler
07-28-2011, 2:58 PM
Bill, I think I have about 12 hours in it. Most of the time in the piercing. Thanks

David Campbell
07-29-2011, 12:14 AM
What is the process (tools)you used to pierce with?

Scott Hackler
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
David, I turn it thin (this one is 1/16" but that might be a little too thin) and use a NSK Presto high speed carver with a medium cross cut carbide bit. The tool spins at 360,000rpm or so and the bit shank is 1/16". My "pattern" is 100% freehand and its what works for me. I like the "lace" effect so that's why I don't usually cut out larger areas during piercing.