PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Cankers Disease - Black Walnut

Roger Chandler
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Black walnut is a favorite wood for many wood turners...........we prize it highly for its figure, coloration and the striking beauty when finished.

Sadly, today I received notice of a problem here in 2 counties in Virginia, and there was a quarantine for those two counties by the state dept. of forestry and agriculture. I corresponded with one of our mods, John Keeton, and he says black walnut is one of his favorites, and that the following item is acceptable to post:

See the.pdf document John Keeton posted below for details.................

John Keeton
07-27-2011, 7:40 AM
Roger, I have attached the .pdf file in hope it would be easier to read for folks. Hope you don't mind.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2011, 7:54 AM
Thanks John.........that is what I wanted to do, but did not know how!

Nathan Hawkes
07-27-2011, 8:30 AM
This is really sad. I read about this fungus a few years ago affecting walnut trees in the west, but didn't know it had made its way across the country so quickly. So many diseases affecting our native trees!! Chestnut blight, Dutch Elm disease, (not a disease, but) Emerald Ash Borer, Hemlock Wooly Adelgid, Pine Borer Beetles, and now Thousand Canker disease.

Just an FYI, also, Emerald Ash borer is confirmed in different parts of Virginia, and West Virginia, so if you have any prize Ash trees you've been thinking about harvesting, better do some research into which counties are affected, and how you're going to protect (or cut down) your trees.

Richard Jones
07-27-2011, 8:45 AM
Can I ask where that document is on line? Can't seem to find it anywhere and want to post it here and there.

Thanks.

Rich

Chris Burgess
07-27-2011, 9:07 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not the Walnut too. I tell you what, it beaks my heart to drive out to visit the inlaws and see huge plots where all the trees of one kind have died.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2011, 9:17 AM
Can I ask where that document is on line? Can't seem to find it anywhere and want to post it here and there.

Thanks.

Rich

Rich,

Near the bottom of th e .pdf document that John posted, there are some links [don't know if they are active, but the web address is there] so you should be able to type in the web address and get info on it. This document came from Virginia Tech. Also, there is a quarantine document from the Agriculture and forestry dept. that is related,so you might want to look that up as well.

Quinn McCarthy
07-27-2011, 9:40 AM
The reason these pathogens move so fast is because there are no natural enemies to those agents. When DED hit it took a few years to figure out how DED was travelling so quick. They figured out the beatles were laying egg masses under cars and trailers and from sloppy practices with dead elm trees. Now none of these current isects and diseases are killing all of the trees. Some that survive have a natural resistance to the pests. Even DED didn't get all the elms. Nathan I wouldn't cut your ashes down until they are dead. Especially if they are yard trees and there is aestetic value. BEst way to keep them alive is to keep them healthy. In a wooded setting commercial thinning keeps trees heathy. In the back yard you can use fertilizer sticks and don't drive heavy equipment over the roots.

One of the biggest problems today is fast transportation. You get egg masses or fungal spores on a semi truck on the west coast and in 2-3 days he is on the east coast spreading the dseases along the way. Make sure you obey any quarantine areas in your areas.

I hope that helps.

Quinn

Forester by day woodworker by night.

+

-

Richard Jones
07-27-2011, 9:42 AM
Rich,

Near the bottom of th e .pdf document that John posted, there are some links [don't know if they are active, but the web address is there] so you should be able to type in the web address and get info on it. This document came from Virginia Tech. Also, there is a quarantine document from the Agriculture and forestry dept. that is related,so you might want to look that up as well.

Roger,

Yep, been to the extension office and Forestry and Ag sites, nothing that I can find. Maybe they haven't gotten it on their sites yet? I found a couple of news articles that the AP picked up, so I'm posting those. Man, I hate this. I wasn't around for the demise of the chestnut, and this sounds scarily similar as to the end result.

Keeping my fingers crossed in VA.................

Curt Fuller
07-27-2011, 9:14 PM
Black Walnut isn't a native tree here on the Wasatch Front where I live, but it is somewhat common from planted trees. Many of the trees are dying from something here too. It would be interesting to know what is killing them around here.

Jeff Nicol
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Not a good thing to hear about, but it seems there are more and more things getting into the trees around the country. We have lost a few hundred Bitternut Hickory trees up on our hunting land. There is some fungus that creates big lumps and bumps on the trunks and mainly on the limbs and canopy of the tree. There is a beetle that is in the trees that are dead and I think they have a part in the disease. The lumps are little burls that form and I turn them and have gave some to others, but most are only a few inches in dia. But a few get to 6-7" across, but if you wait to long ants like to get in them and make them almost unusable.

Se we have lots of firewood and as much hickory for smoking meat as we want, but still a bad thing. I think the fungus has "Cottony" in the descritption and the trees die the same way as the canker fungus does to the Black Walnut.

Sad,

Jeff

James Combs
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks.

Rich

Richard, if you right click on the link in John Keaton's post you can download the PDF file to your PC then use it/print it when ever you want depending on any copyright restrictions. In Internet Explorer right click on the link and under the right click menu select "Save Target As". If you are using Firefox, right click and select "Save Link As". In both cases just follow the dialog window to save the file. By default it will save in the Windows "Download" directory. Hope this helps.

Richard Jones
07-28-2011, 7:58 AM
Richard, if you right click on the link in John Keaton's post you can download the PDF file to your PC then use it/print it when ever you want depending on any copyright restrictions. In Internet Explorer right click on the link and under the right click menu select "Save Target As". If you are using Firefox, right click and select "Save Link As". In both cases just follow the dialog window to save the file. By default it will save in the Windows "Download" directory. Hope this helps.

Thanks James, my Mac likes to save this as an "attachment", not a PDF, but I found them elsewhere. A bit more info on this:

http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/misc/Virginia%20Thousand%20Cankers%20Disease%20Temporar y%20Quarantine.pdf

Rich

Steve Vaughan
07-28-2011, 8:24 AM
WOW! Thanks for posting this. I'm right in the middle of Chesterfield the article references...gonna keep my eye on a few walnuts I know about.

Chris Colman
07-28-2011, 8:48 AM
Information from Missouri Dept. of Ag.

http://mda.mo.gov/plants/pests/thousandcankers.php