PDA

View Full Version : I Cleared A Hurdle Today

Jared McMahon
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I just walked away from a glue-up right before opening the glue bottle. I had five laminations for a bass guitar neck reasonably smoothed and laid out and all my clamps at the ready. Sure there were a couple wobbles and small gaps, a few uneven spots in some of the pieces, but it's nothing I can't overcome with a ton of clamps and some creative shaping after the fact, right? Right?

Nope, sorry. "Good enough" doesn't cut it. It's easier to clamp the daylights out of it and work around blemishes than to go back to the straightedge and test for truth, than to go back to the sharpening station and take the little nick out of the bevel of my Stanley #7's iron, than to fight a little longer with that one piece of maple and its 6" stretch of wonky grain. But I would remember each of those shortcuts for the rest of the project, and my eyes would be drawn to every one of those blemishes and quirks anytime I saw the finished instrument. I have no deadline, no customer waiting, no business on the line. I'm making it for the joy of the process and the beauty and utility of the finished object.

So what am I rushing for? Well I can now say that I'm not rushing. I'm stepping away from the workbench for a bit before going back, resharpening my plane irons, and seeing where each piece of wood needs more TLC. And when the bass is done, it will be as gorgeous as my abilities can make it, without my impatience undercutting that.

Peter Scoma
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I say good for you. I think that especially with the heat many of us have been experiencing in our shops there is a great lesson to be learned in your experience. I have a pretty good sense for when I am "done" for the day and need to start cleaning up. It seems everytime I ignore that instinct, a bad outcome awaits me.

PJS

glenn bradley
07-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Welcome to truly enjoying the work as opposed to striving for the finish. I enjoy completing things as much as anybody but, I really enjoy the journey.

Larry Fox
07-27-2011, 9:13 AM
I say good for you. I think that especially with the heat many of us have been experiencing in our shops there is a great lesson to be learned in your experience. I have a pretty good sense for when I am "done" for the day and need to start cleaning up. It seems everytime I ignore that instinct, a bad outcome awaits me.

PJS

+1. Being in the same region as Peter I can also vouch for his claim on the heat.

John TenEyck
07-27-2011, 3:06 PM
That is truly a great attitude, one I have to constantly remind myself to strive for. I used to try to do my best because I was hoping to hear praise from my Dad. Now I try to do my best just for me. Thanks for the posting.