PDA

View Full Version : planer question

Kent E. Matthew
07-26-2011, 9:38 PM
I have been looking for a used planer for about 6 months now. When I didn't of the money craigslist was a target rich environment. Now I have the funds nothing of interest. There have been a few lately without the infeed/outfeed tables such as this one.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/Goose5/throw%20away/RC-33.jpg

Will this machine work properley without the feed tables? The seller wants $575. How much would new feed tables cost and from where?

David Kumm
07-26-2011, 9:49 PM
The planer is a Delta RC 33 and it is a great planer. They were made in Brazil and a forerunner to the DC 33. In my opinion it is a step above the current 15" Taiwan and China planers. Great candidate for a Byrd head if you decide to go that route. I put one on a DC 33 along with a Wixey gauge and use it as a finish planer. Only the powermatic 100 is above it in that size planer. If it runs well i would buy it rather than a new one from Delta or others. DaveThey did not come with infeed or outfeed tables except for some that came with a stand. Because the head moves it is easy to build your own . Dave

Jaromir Svoboda
07-26-2011, 9:55 PM
You can build feed tables.Table is not moving up and down.Cutter head is moving.

Chip Lindley
07-27-2011, 2:37 PM
I have owned an RC-33 for over 25 years. At times, in- and outfeed tables come in handy when planing very long boards, but as a rule I support each board by hand, especially as the rear of the board passes the infeed roller. Lifting up on the board a bit helps to prevent snipe at this point. The RC-33 will perform just fine with, or without extension tables. A well-tuned RC-33 is a pleasure to use.

~~Chip~~