PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #1 vs Stanley #203

James Taglienti
07-26-2011, 8:48 PM
Ok lots of people buy the LN 1 for a user some folks might buy the Stanley as a user also, i suppose, but really if youve got one, what do you use it for? Is it just to have one? Yes, they are cute...

To me a block plane is a lot easier to hold and doesnt have to be treated like a piece of glass when on the bench... i think a lot of other folks felt that way also, judging by the number of block planes compared to #1's.

Even if you palm the handle on the 1, your wrist or palm drags on the workpiece...

The Stanley 203 is about the same size, has a front knob, and costs about $30... I like it a lot better. Does the 1 do anything a block plane just cant do? I have also heard that old time carpenters liked to put them in the1 size in their aprons... i dont really believe that. More like a paperweight if you ask me.

How about you?

george wilson
07-26-2011, 9:05 PM
You speak with wise tongue,James.

Tony Zaffuto
07-26-2011, 9:10 PM
I have a LN #1. Got it primarily because of the visit of Arthur-Itus (Red Foxx's relative). Yes, you can wrap your hand around the plane, but it is no easier to use than a #9-1/2 or similar block plane. The #1 is now a conversation piece on my desk and has led to more than a few tools being given to me. One of the tools given to me was a #18-1/4 Stanley block plane and is considered fairly rare.

Jim Neeley
07-26-2011, 9:20 PM
Ya know, Tony... Those Itus boys are bad seeds, but I think Authur's one of the worst... or maybe he just gets around?

Jim Koepke
07-26-2011, 9:28 PM
Ya know, Tony... Those Itus boys are bad seeds, but I think Authur's one of the worst... or maybe he just gets around?

He seems to hang out in every joint where I might venture.

jtk

Harlan Barnhart
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Well James, I don't have a #1 to compare with my block plane. I guess you should send me yours so I can decide...

Jim Koepke
07-27-2011, 2:06 AM
Ok lots of people buy the LN 1 for a user some folks might buy the Stanley as a user also, i suppose, but really if youve got one, what do you use it for? Is it just to have one? Yes, they are cute...

To me a block plane is a lot easier to hold and doesnt have to be treated like a piece of glass when on the bench... i think a lot of other folks felt that way also, judging by the number of block planes compared to #1's.

Even if you palm the handle on the 1, your wrist or palm drags on the workpiece...

The Stanley 203 is about the same size, has a front knob, and costs about $30... I like it a lot better. Does the 1 do anything a block plane just cant do? I have also heard that old time carpenters liked to put them in the1 size in their aprons... i dont really believe that. More like a paperweight if you ask me.

How about you?

A bench plane is a little easier at adjusting the blade depth. The #203 doesn't have a way to adjust the mouth.

A #60 type with a higher angle ground on the blade might be another way.

Just like all the other planes, there are places were each one of them is the better tool for the job at hand.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
James, my personal choice for a really small plane is the LN 102 & 103 depending on whether I need a flat of curved surface. I just find the squirrel tail to be extremely comfortable.

jamie shard
07-27-2011, 4:22 PM
Sold my #2 for that reason. The #3 however fits my hand (three finger grip) wonderfully.

James Taglienti
07-27-2011, 7:38 PM
I really like the LN 103 wish i had some O1 in it though

Mark Engel
07-27-2011, 7:44 PM
Stanley #1 is nothing more than a collector's item. Not really useful for anything other than a display.

JMHO. :)

That being said, I sure would love to own one.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-27-2011, 8:52 PM
Okay, having never actually seen a No 1 before (in person) that's a good visual for me to get a better sense of the size. Something about seeing in a hand, and next to something I'm aware of the size of makes more sense than just reading length and width numbers.

I played with a No. 3 before, and think I really want to pick up a plane that size; I wonder about a No. 2 - does anyone want to take a picture of one of those next to a number 4 or a block plane or something?

Mel Miller
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Here are the Stanley #1-4 for comparison. The 4 is newer, but the size comparison is still good.

Mel

john brenton
07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Maybe it was made for smaller hands, like a childs. That's probably not the case, but back when young kids actually had to do some real productive work. I dream about handing my boy a #1 and letting him go at it. Ill probably just make him a functional wood plane though.

James Taglienti
07-28-2011, 8:30 PM
wow mel that 2 and 3 are ancient

Peter Scoma
07-29-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm looking for a number 1 really just to round out a full collection of Bailey's. Later in the year I want to make a Henry Studley "inspired," wall hung tool chest to proudly display the fruits of my antique/flea market hunting and restoration efforts. I also really want to turn and inlay the cool, gothic-looking cubby in the Studley chest which is only really fitting for a prized No 1.

PJS

James Pickering
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
http://jp29.org/wwstanley203planes.htm -- informal study.

James

Mel Miller
07-31-2011, 2:23 PM
wow mel that 2 and 3 are ancient

Thanks James. I don't collect much Stanley stuff, just the more unusual pieces. The #2 is a recent aquisition: a type 2. The #3 is one of the first of the Boston Bailey #3s with the extra screw in the back of the frog going straight down into the base and the 2 piece brass adjusting nut.

Mel

Bill Houghton
07-31-2011, 4:14 PM
A comment on the 203: most books, in introducing block planes, announce that Stanley (and, by implication, other makers') block planes come in two types: those with irons bedded at 20 degrees ("standard angle") and those with irons bedded at 12 degrees ("low angle"). They then point out that the bedding angle, combined with the common (25 degree) sharpening bevel on the iron, means that the standard angle block plane is actually planing at the same effective planing angle as a bench plane (e.g., #1 thru #8 Stanleys).

Well, now...I've measured the bedding angle on my Stanley 203, and it's 24 or even 24-1/2 degrees. So, with a typical 25 degree sharpening bevel, this is actually a high angle plane, approaching a 50 degree planing angle. So your (and my) 203 is actually a small version of the Lie-Nielsen No. 4 bench plane with the high angle frog, at WAY less money. Anyway, that's how I like to think of it.

Jim Koepke
07-31-2011, 9:36 PM
Well, now...I've measured the bedding angle on my Stanley 203, and it's 24 or even 24-1/2 degrees. So, with a typical 25 degree sharpening bevel, this is actually a high angle plane, approaching a 50 degree planing angle. So your (and my) 203 is actually a small version of the Lie-Nielsen No. 4 bench plane with the high angle frog, at WAY less money. Anyway, that's how I like to think of it.

I wonder if a properly worded description would cause bidders to go crazy on that well known auction site.

Rare 50° block plane…

jtk

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I always thought the #1 plane was a salesman sample, never made for shop use. True????

Bill Houghton
07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
I wonder if a properly worded description would cause bidders to go crazy on that well known auction site.

Rare 50° block plane…

jtk

Good idea! It would work for the 220, too - I looked late this afternoon, and the bedding angle's the same on that one.

Bill Houghton
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
I always thought the #1 plane was a salesman sample, never made for shop use. True????

H.O. Studley seems to have thought it was a shop tool, since he found a place for it in his toolchest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_O._Studley)

James Taglienti
08-01-2011, 8:44 PM
I think that the 1 may have started out as a sample or an attention getter in shop windows but they made it into the catalog very early and stayed there until they were discontinued.