PDA

View Full Version : round tenons with delta 17-900

Kate Currie
07-26-2011, 4:40 PM
I want to make round tenons in the end of square stock. I was hoping to do this with a plug cutter in my drill press (delta floor model 17-900) and a simple jig clamped to the table. When I rotate the table to 90 degrees it is no longer in alignment with the drill. I cannot rotate the table on the column due to the track running vertically up the column that allows the table to be raised and lowered. Do you think I can safely move the drill press head out of alignment to accomplish this task? Any other thoughts? I realize I may have to abandon the thought of using the drill press for this altogether but I was really hoping for a good repetitive set-up there.

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-26-2011, 6:32 PM
When I drill into end grain, or make tenons on my drill press, I use a 90° accessory base that I made out of 3/4" MDF. I have several bolt on toggle clamps to hold the stock. It takes a little time to make, but once made it's extremely valuable and it gets used a lot. The stock can hang over the table edge, or go thru the middle of the table depending on the intended use.