PDA

View Full Version : Rounded Corner (joining?) Brackets

Jeremy Schleiden
07-26-2011, 4:21 PM
Hello,
I wasn't really sure where to post this question so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum.

I'm looking for a bracket that would connect two pieces of wood together at a 90 degree angle. I'm in the process of build a hanging pot rack and I really like the look of this one:

I've tried contacting Rockler & WoodCraft, but neither carry brackets like that. Anyone have any ideas of where you could purchase a rounded corner bracket?
Thanks in advance for the help!
-jeremy

ray hampton
07-26-2011, 8:07 PM
are the bracket made from plastic ?

Jeremy Schleiden
07-26-2011, 8:15 PM
Good question Ray. I haven't actually seen the pot rack in person so I'm not sure. I would assume they are metal since you are supporting a lot of weight? I can't seem to find any web sites that sell that type of corner-round metal brackets...

david brum
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
If you look closely at the corner joints, it appears that the entire rack is made of wood-colored metal with slip-fit metal corners, bolted in place. The hooks appear to slide in tracks. It would be difficult to make that thing out of wood, even if you could find the hardware. Not to dissuade you from trying, but I might personally try something like a laminated board, sort of like a cutting board. Then you'd have something to screw your hooks into.

Jeremy Schleiden
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
David,
I'm almost positive the entire rack is not made out of wood-colored metal. You can see the full product here: http://www.csnstores.com/Concept-Housewares-Rectangular-Espresso-Wood-Hanging-Pot-Rack-NP-49232-EP1081.html
You are right about the sliding hooks in tracks. I'm not too worried about that part, because I don't plan on making it that elaborate. My thought was that building it only out of wood without any type of reinforced brackets on the joints may not be sturdy enough to hold the weight. That's why when I saw this pot rack I really liked the rounded corner brackets (please advise if there is a better name for them), not only for ascetics but for structure as well.
-j

ray hampton
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
did you try looking on Home & Garden T V website [H&GTV], you can buy metal braces at lowe or home depot that you might be able to use

david brum
07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh, I get it now. It's made of parallel sets of wooden slats. Sorry for the mistake. Those corner brackets do look like they were made specifically for that rack. The metal corner brackets that I see online are for general carpentry.

I'll throw another out another idea. You could easily make the exterior frame with reinforced miters or bridal joints. They could still be rounded off, although they would obviously not be metal.

Jeremy Schleiden
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
No worries David. I appreciate the responses! I'd be interested in seeing some general carpentry metal corner brackets if you have some links.

I started off thinking I would just join the corners with a miter & then round them over, but when I saw this pot rack I thought the metal brackets really went well with it & made it stand out. If I can't get anything like that then I may fall back to what you are suggesting.
Thanks!
-j

Randy Zrubek
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe you could make the outer frame from wood, round the corners, then mortise in some stainless steel edge banding on the corners.

david brum
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I was referring to something like this, Jeremy. These are usually zinc coated, but these stainless ones might be more like what you're after.

http://www.amazon.com/DEGREE-Stainless-Steel-ANGLE-BRACKET/dp/B000Y84C5M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1311825494&sr=8-12

George Gyulatyan
07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Not sure if you'd like to go the custom route. I don't know these guys but something like this (http://www.emachineshop.com/) might be worth looking into.

Jeremy Schleiden
07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the links!
David - Your amazon link got me onto some other sites (read: Ads!) that have been helpful. I have some emails out to those companies. If that turns up empty I'll take a look at what George suggested.
Thanks!

Joe Angrisani
07-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Jeremy.... They're brass, not chrome/silver, but perhaps these will work. Woodcraft item number 127393.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001033/2820/Chest-Corner-2-x-34-2.aspx

Jeremy Schleiden
08-01-2011, 1:09 PM
That's an interesting option Joe. Thanks for the link!

I really haven't found any more info on what I was originally looking for...might have to custom fabricate!