PDA

View Full Version : "Metamorphosis"

Wolf Kiessling
02-17-2005, 4:32 PM
About a year and a half or so ago, I posted a plan for this relief carving. Almost no one liked it. I came up with about another 15 configurations on paper plus a clay mockup and finally committed it to a slab of catalpa. Here is the finished product except that it isn't framed yet. Reason for that is that I haven't made up my mind how to do that yet.

Unlike Franz Kafka's cockroach, this depicts the transmogrification between a human female and a tiger. I am wondering if I will get a different reaction to this piece now that color has been applied and, at least in my opinion, the work is better defined.

If you'd like to comment, positively or negatively, feel free. I actually would like to get some feedback on this.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2005, 4:37 PM
Wolf,

It is interesting no doubt! Do I like it...I'd have to lean towards "no." I think perhaps if the "morphing" wasn't so abrupt, it might flow better from the female face to the tiger face and work better for me.

Nice to see you posting again! :)

Jim Becker
02-17-2005, 4:38 PM
I like the carving, Wolf. It's quite effective for what I think you were trying to accomplish. I'm wondering if softening the contrast on the coloration of the "tiger" size might make for a more balanced feel. That side seems to jump out at me more than the "human" side for some reasons.

Dave Right
02-17-2005, 4:51 PM
Wolf, I think it's GREAT !!!!

Reminded me right away of some women I've known in the work place and
some of them were more tiger than woman.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2005, 4:55 PM
Wolf,

I think it is very well done! I can see a lot of people liking it. It is not to my taste, but I'm not into art very much at all. All in all it looks very good.

Jim Dunn
02-17-2005, 6:53 PM
Wolf, I am impressed with anyone's ability to carve anything other than a pencil. Therefore my vote is yes I do like it!

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2005, 7:25 PM
I'm afraid I don't like it, but then I don't like much abstract art. For me the woman or the tiger would have been nice, but the combo just doesn't do anything for me.

John Shuk
02-17-2005, 7:41 PM
Off the bat I sort of say I don't care for it. Then as I look at it it I think the carving and the characters have the feel of having been carved with a sort of Indo-South-Pacific influence. The characters are kind of interesting. In the end I kind of like it.

Dino Makropoulos
02-17-2005, 8:40 PM
I am wondering if I will get a different reaction to this piece now that color has been applied and, at least in my opinion, the work is better defined.

If you'd like to comment, positively or negatively, feel free. I actually would like to get some feedback on this.

Why? You have taken a piece of wood and make this THING that is.. pure art.
Why you like to know if others like it or not? And where do you like to get the feedback? on this THING or in your art?
Because this piece is pure art and art is beautiful.

Syd Lorandeau
02-17-2005, 9:03 PM
Hi Dion,
I do not know if this is art or not, I do not think anybody has ever described art, but I do know that if you feel good about it then that is great, but if you feel what is that ?? Move on. I am moving on.

syd

Keith Outten
02-17-2005, 9:50 PM
Excellent!

Dale Thompson
02-17-2005, 9:57 PM
Hi Wolf,
Welcome back! It's been a while since we have seen your outstanding work.

My reaction? I don't like it at all. I think that it is a waste of a perfectly good chunk of Catalpa! :)

On the other hand, if I had an original Picasso, I would:
1. Not recognize it! :eek:
2. Give it away to my worst enemy! :D :eek:

Artists like you are rare with incredibly unique talents. I am outrageously jealous of artists and incredibly envious of people with talent. You have my sincerest respect in BOTH areas. ;) :)

For what it is worth, I would have ignored the criticism and NOT added the color. Let the wood do the talking. YEAH RIGHT! I'm giving advice to YOU!! :o :) I MEAN well, though! :confused:

Dale T.

Glenn Clabo
02-18-2005, 7:48 AM
Wolf,
The more I stare at it...the more I like it. It provokes my thought and causes reaction ...it is art.

But most importantly for me...you are back at it and it does my heart good.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2005, 8:51 AM
Wolf......art like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have an oil painting of Mohammed Ali 36"x48" in my family room. The painting was painted from the recipiant of one of his "blows" point of view. He's standing in the neutral corner ...you are on the mat. Most people say it is a good painting but they wouldn't have it in their home. Me......I bought it at an art auction one evening....I like it!

When I initially looked at your carving I wasn't sure but..the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

As stated by Glenn, it's good to have you back at this forum!

Wolf Kiessling
02-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Folks, I thank you for the responses to this posting. They have been very helpful. I guess I should tell you why I solicited them. I had already decided to enter this piece in a competition but wasn't sure which venue to go with. My choices are to put it in the "relief carving" category of a wood carving show (which I will be attending in Grapevine, Tx, in a couple of weeks) or in the "mixed media" category of an art show. The majority of the responses being what it was made the choice fairly clear, I will enter it in the art show instead of the wood carving show. It may not do much of anything in the art show but will almost certainly do nothing at the wood carving show.

When I finish with this, I will make another posting showing what will be my relief carving competitive piece for this year. I think it will be more to mostly everyone's liking. Don't get me wrong, however, I, myself, still like the "Metamorphosis" work and that is, after all, the main reason I created it.

Also, last but certainly not least, thanks for the welcome back. I am still feeling very depressed but have much improved over the last month. I finally convinced myself that life goes on and the past is in the past. In any event, I have some fantastic memories that I will carry around for what is left of my own life.