PDA

View Full Version : Shellac flake question

Jerome Hanby
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I've got a question about shellac flakes. I can buy a gallon of Zinsser Seal Coat (2 pound cut dewaxed shellac) for about $43 out the door from my local Borg. This seemed kind of pricey to me, so I looked into ordering shellac flakes thinking I could save some money and be able to just mix up what I needed when I needed. Cheapest I've seen a pound of flakes would run me considerable more than that $43 just for two pounds of flakes and still leave me on the hook for a gallon of alcohol. Stripping away all other arguments of being able to mix just what you need, shelf life of premixed shellac, and additional colors, am I missing something? Seems like I should just buy flakes for special colors and buy the Seal Coat for any use I have for "clear" shellac. Even paying $15 a quart seems cheaper than flakes...

Dan Hulbert
07-26-2011, 1:08 PM
I came to the same conclusion years ago. Your BORG prices seem a bit high to me, but the analysis still works out the same. I'm a home hobbiest and SWMBO likes what I can do working out of BORG cans.

Scott Holmes
07-26-2011, 8:00 PM
Seal coat is a dirty blonde color at best. If you want super blond, platnium or any of the darker de-waxed colors the pre-mixed wont work.

As for the pricing it seems a bit high; your math is correct. Fresh from flakes dries faster and is better at sealing.

Prashun Patel
07-26-2011, 8:11 PM
I agree with you. But don't discount the other arguments you stripped away. I use a lot of superblonde and garnet.

However, while people like flakes for the convenience of mixing yr own whenever you need it, IMHO, it's easier to stop by a BORG and just pick up a 1/2 pint or quart of SC; no mixing and measuring.

Scott Holmes
07-26-2011, 8:19 PM
I use mostly super blonde and garnet. So seal coat is not a normal choice for me.

Jerome Hanby
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
As hot as it was Today the only way the shellac could have dried faster is if I just threw the flakes at the wood. I shellac just about all my shop furniture and jigs, so I'm not too concerned with the color. If I were doing a piece of furniture for the house, I suspect I would use amber or garnet. In fact the flakes I have in the shop now are garnet...