PDA

View Full Version : My head is spinning as I fall deeper in to the vortex

John Pratt
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I have decided to delve even deeper into all things spinny and get into some bowls, plates, and HFs. I blame Michael James for this since he created an addict with the pens and other spindle type turning. Now that I want to get into bowls and such, I need some help in what equipment I need. I am currently running a Jet 1642 and a Delta 46-460. I have a Tormek for sharpening and a complete set of Sorby spindle turning tools (gouges, skews, scrapers, etc.) What I need to know is what do I need to look at in the way of hollowing tools, captive hollowing systems, chucks, do I need a vacuum chuck, rests, different drive centers, etc... (I am only seeking well made equipment, I would rather pay money for quality than regret a purchase because of inferiority). What tools do you have that are essential? What do you wish you had?

Yeah, I know I need to seek out my local turning club (there isn't one close by), and seek out classes at my local Woodcraft (that is in the future), but I would like to start my search for equipment now (I am kind of a research addict). Any and all reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

John

Jim Burr
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
A search for that should reveal much since there has been a lot of discussion of that lately. A lot of us use Monster...there are a lot of choices to look at.

Alan Trout
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
John,

First I would get a 1/2" or 5/8" Thompson V bowl gouge. It is simply the highest quality tool at a very reasonable price. I personally prefer the 1/2" because I think it is more versatile but I do have one of each. Next any of the major chuck manufactures make a great product. I have both Nova and Oneway chucks and I like both. The Vicmarc is an excellent chuck as well. For doing hollow forms the Monster setups are great. But at the symposium I got to play with Tom's from JT turning tools new articulated rig, and of that style of articulated rig it is the most ridged I have seen. You might give Tom a call and talk to him about his setup. Also you will need to give Jeff Nicol a call and get one of his steady rest. I feel his rest are a best value out there. As far as vacuum chucks go I think I would start with friction and jamb chucks as you will need to be able to use those anyway as you cannot vacuum chuck everything. Save some money for now. If in the future you think you need one thats fine but you don't really have to have one. I put it way down on my list as I do mostly hollow forms anyway.

This should get you going

Good Luck

Alan

Dennis Ford
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
You will probably want (not necessarily need) a chuck, you will need a bowl gouge. This and your existing tools would allow you to do bowls and platters. Hollow forms will require additional tools, which ones you choose depends on what size HFs you will turn and your budget.

Joe Bradshaw
07-26-2011, 1:32 PM
I would answer yes to all the above. Remember that we are all just one tool away from excellence.

Roger Chandler
07-26-2011, 1:40 PM
Deeper into the vortex, huh...................my sincerest condolences :( ...............you have gotten pretty good advice so far on tools...................just don't let your accountant know anything about this fall! :eek:

Jon Prouty
07-26-2011, 2:26 PM
I would recommend some DVDs first... Bill Grumbine (Bowls Turned Easy (i think)) and Jimmy Clewes (Turn it On DVD set). Very helpful.

Chucks - I would go with a super nova chuck or talon. Lots of jaw choices with both. Pick a brand and stick with them as there are many jaws you will end up needing/wanting.

Tools - I like my Thompson gouges, I want to try the Glaser tools next. Lots of good choices for gouges out there today. I also like my Easy Wood Tools Rougher and Finisher (and Hollower). T

I have a vaccumm setup that runs off my air compressor (I don't use it as much as I thought I would). Learn to Jam Chuck and you will be better off for now.

Hollowing tools - sky is the limit... lots of choices and options.

Start with the DVDs though... lots of fun watching and learning.

Jon

charlie knighton
07-26-2011, 3:41 PM
reread Jon's post, +1 on his summation & +2 on

Learn to Jam Chuck and you will be better off for now

John Pratt
07-26-2011, 4:12 PM
Good stuff, I definitely have some more research to do.

Michael James
07-26-2011, 7:34 PM
OK, that's good addict thinking.....find someone to blame!:cool::p

Good tips and all this stuff is soooooooooo subjective. I just bought a 1/2 U and a 1/2V thompson with the 16" handle and am a very happy camper. I have the mini monster for the 46-460, but others have used the full size monster on the same lathe. I don't really have any desire to make big pieces, but you might. I would really suggest prioritizing your wants, unless you've already stashed your vortex funding for now.
I bought one of Jeff N's hollow rigs and use it all the time, and also have one of his steady rests. As you prolly know this is a bottomless pit as far as spending goes.........!
Best of luck and shoot me a PM if inclined,
Michael

David E Keller
07-26-2011, 9:18 PM
I agree with most of what's been said. I'd go 1/2 V gouge... I've not used Glaser, but I've been very happy with Thompson stuff. I have a 5/8 gouge too, but I don't use it as often.

I use Vicmarc chucks with the Grizzly VM100 clone for some of the jaws(Those two are interchangeable). Lots of good chucks on the market from other makers as well, but I agree with the notion to pick a brand and stay with it.

I don't own a vacuum chuck, and I don't have plans to get one anytime soon... I can do everything I've tried so far with a jam chuck. I'll probably get one someday, but it's not a priority.

I also have a Jeff Nicol steady, and it's the best deal anywhere... I don't use it that much, but it's indispensable at times.

As for hollow tools, I'd suggest you start by hand. Homemade tools are a great way to start with very little money invested. I've got a monster set up that I really like, but there are still some tasks that I find are better done with hand tools.

If I were to prioritize the items you listed, the bowl gouge and chuck are far and away the most important IMHO. Homemade hollowing tools would be next on the list, and then you can collect the other stuff as your interests dictate.

Good luck!

John Pratt
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
So if I were to get the Mini monster hollowing system for my Delta, the custom handle, Monster mini tool rest, and the Monster Lathe too "extreme", along with a 1/2 V and 1/2U it would be a good start? I don't intend to be doing anything "big". I would be more than likely to do smaller HFs and bowls/plates. Will I have buyers remorse and wish I had gone for the full size Monster?

Joe Bradshaw
07-27-2011, 3:02 PM
John, I have the Mini-Monster and use it on my Oneway 1224. I found that I had a lot of vibration when I worked much more than 5" over the toolrest. I think that you might be more pleased with the full sized Monster. The best thing is to ask Randy. He will be a big help.

Alan Trout
07-27-2011, 3:30 PM
I agree with Joe, And you really only need one half in bowl gouge and I would personally prefer the 1/2" V. I have some U shaped gouges and I think for a beginner the V is easier to use.

Good Luck

Alan