PDA

View Full Version : Orange plastic license tags fading in sun

Amy Shelton
07-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I sold 100 orange license tags I bought from a big online sign company. We put black vinyl lettering/logos on them... the band boosters has sold 10 and have 90 unsold. After 3 months, they had 3 complaints of the tags turning yellow. (which is NOT the school color! lol) I have seen them myself. One customer had hers inside her car, in partial sun but not in the elements, and it faded some, too. The sign company said they will issue a refund of what I had purchased. I know I'm out to dry on this.

Do you have some ideas of other options? I really want to provide them the tags economically so they can raise money for their band. I am prepared to issue a full refund, but surely there's some way I can make them some tags that don't fade.

I think buying sheet stock Rowmark or other plastic then cutting them with the laser would make the cost go out the roof. And I'm wondering now, will it fade? I am losing my trust with these products.

If I bought black tags, then put orange vinyl on them, would those fade as easily?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mike Null
07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Amy

Use your vinyl cutter. Vinyl will hold up.

Amy Shelton
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Mike, you mean to cut orange vinyl for over the entire tag, then put the black lettering/logo over it? Much less expensive than buying sheet stock.

After I wrote this, the sign company called me back! They are sending some spray that is supposed to add UV resistance. Then they are going to send me some orange tags that are different, with more UV resistance than the others. They hadn't heard of this fading problem before, but I think they said the manufacturer told them later that the orange and yellow tags have problems fading. So they will note that in their catalogs. I'm glad their cust service is handling this.

Dan Hintz
07-26-2011, 1:39 PM
If you go with vinyl, make sure it's cast (not calendered) for better UV resistance.

Jim Koepke
07-26-2011, 2:59 PM
It has been almost 40 years since I have done anything in the sign making business.

Back in those days most reds were known to fade in the sun. Orange is red and yellow. if the red fades, you are left with yellow.

I know it costs more, but back then the only non-fading inks or colors I recall came from 3M. They also sold sheeting for things like road signs.

Most of my experience was as a silksreen printer. I did work for a while at Hawkins Traffic Safety Supply.

jtk

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2011, 9:27 PM
Even Krylon fusion spray paint will last longer than red or orange plastic. I have used cast vinyl and had it last 8 years with no problem. Now that you ar emaking signs, remember this also applies to colored PVC such as Komatex and Sintra. White will yellow but not for 5-6 years, black lasts about the same then grays, but the colors are lucky to go a year or two depending on your climate (lasts longer here with little sun).

Don Nicholas
07-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Do you have access to Silk Screen, that may be the way to go. If you do it this way, make sure you use U/V protected paint/ink.

Amy Shelton
07-27-2011, 8:42 AM
Good advice, everyone. THANKS!

Amy Shelton
08-14-2011, 8:53 PM
An update:

The company sent me some UV Protective Coating spray. I sprayed half an orange plastic tag with it and put it in full sun. After 10 days, there was already some noticeable fading.

The UV resistant orange tags they were supposed to send ended up being $30 EACH! Needless to say, they didn't send them. And I don't know if I'd trust them anyway.

I bought some orange Krylon Fusion for plastics. I wiped a new tag with paint thinner to clean it... I read on the paint can to use mineral spirits on a new plastic surface. Then I sprayed the Fusion, waited an hour or so, sprayed another light coat. About 3 days after I sprayed it, I tested it and it comes right off with a fingernail. Ugh! I thought Fusion was the answer.

Joe, do you ever have a problem with Fusion not sticking to plastic?

So now I'm going to try the orange vinyl over the entire tag. I guess the best way is to put it on the tag, then cut it by hand around the tag. I tried to line it up after cutting to to an exact fit and it wasn't easy to get it straight.

Joe Pelonio
08-15-2011, 8:12 AM
Wiping with paint thinner could be the problem, it's an oil. I wipe with denatured alcohol, and have never seen that problem.

Amy Shelton
08-15-2011, 8:51 AM
Thanks! I'll try it again. I never thought of it as being an oil. I'm wondering if I need to wipe it with anything at all.