View Full Version : Trent Bosch hollowing tools

Bob Rotche
07-26-2011, 9:00 AM
Wanted to get more into hollow forms but not ready to pull the trigger on the monster system just yet. Had been using the Sorby swan neck tool but found it so unpleasant to use that I just kept avoiding it. Bought the 5/8" straight and swan neck system with handle from Trent's website and tried them for the first time last night. Night and day better than the Sorby system! Definitely a learning curve and I'm sure my next several will be much better but I at least have hope of turning out some quality work. I did end up using the Sorby with the round scraper tip for smoothing the inside which did seem to work well. Still need to sand and finish the bottom and will post a pic when finished. Anyhow, first impression is 2 thumbs up!

charlie knighton
07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Bob, i understand where you have been and where you hope to go. enjoy

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Bob those should serve you well. I debated on his or Ellsworths.

Scott Hackler
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I looked Trent's tools over real good and watched him use them in a demo. They seem to be pretty good tools and if I had a desire to hollow something of any size, by hand, I would be thinking about buying a set from him.

Scott Hussey
07-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I have a set of Trent's hollowing tools and the work great! I have the 5/8th inch set and handle and they work great for a hollow form up to about 12" deep. Trent sells a set that are 3/4" that I used at his studio and did a form almost 15" deep. They worked like a charm if you are into hollowing by hand. I've never hollowed with a fixed system so I can't compare them to a system like that, but they work for me. One day when I get my camera working I'll post some pics of the stuff vie done with them. I also had the set from Elsworth and found that the straight rod was more difficult to control than the curved rod that Trent sells. Maybe it was just me and the way I turn but I find trent's hollowing tools to be very easy to use