PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump Help from users

Dick Wilson
07-26-2011, 8:41 AM
A friend has a vacuum pump that he has an issue with. The hose that comes out of the head stock to the filter turns black. He can't figure out where the black "graphite like" material is coming from. It clogs up the filter. Obviously it is not good for pump. Have any of you had this problem and what does he do to illiminate it???? Thanks.

Roger Chandler
07-26-2011, 9:44 AM
Dick,

I read about this problem somewhere...........I do not remember if it was on this forum or the AAW forum...........there is a fix for it, but I do not have the details..........I would suggest you do a search on vacuum pumps. etc, and see what threads you come up with............

I am sorry I cannot be more specific, but in my memory, I recall reading about this problem ........somewhere on a forum.

Ken Whitney
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Some vacuum pumps have vanes that shed a black "graphite like" material during use. A certain amount of this may be normal wear-and-tear. I don't recall reading about a fix for the problem.

Steve Schlumpf
07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Dick, I remember someone here having the exact same problem! Check out this thread - it even has a fix for you! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?159440-First-time-using-vac-chuck-mysterious-black-dust-cloud!.&highlight=black+powder%3B+vacuum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?159440-First-time-using-vac-chuck-mysterious-black-dust-cloud%21.&highlight=black+powder%3B+vacuum)

Dick Wilson
07-26-2011, 2:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Tony Wheeler
07-26-2011, 6:21 PM
I bought a gast pump off of ebay and first time I fired it up it did the same thing just filled the hoses and filter with black dust which I found out that it was a broken vane in the pump which on my pump is graphite I got a rebuild kit from gast then all was fine sorry this has been longer ago than yesterday so i dont remember the cost which was no much and not real hard to to the repairs hope this helps

Dale Bright
07-26-2011, 6:35 PM
He is most likely using black ABS for the chucks. He should use Schdudle 40 PVC. The ABS gives up fibers under a vacuum.

Dale