PDA

View Full Version : Marking engraving laminate UNDER the protective covering

Rodne Gold
07-26-2011, 4:46 AM
On Rowmark and on my imported lams , I can engrave with the plastic film on but NOT go thru the plastic and still get a black mark , Only tried this on silver and gold. It's like the plastic covering is "transparent" to the laser , it strips off in one piece and the substrate under is marked. Doesnt work if you want to go deep tho , then the plastic melts , it does work for a "just black" mark. Wierd!!!
Never knew you could do that , But I went to visit Vincent De Klerk and he had done it that way for a door sign , We strip the plastic off anyway and will probably continue doing it that way , but it might be useful for some application?

Michael Hunter
07-26-2011, 5:58 AM
I must try that !!!!

Using white-over-black Rowmark, I have a big cleanup job afterwards so leaving the film on until after it has been cut would be a big help.

Ian Franks
07-26-2011, 8:01 AM
Rodney
We bought some Rowmark and tried engraving it, and that's how it worked. We didn't even think that you should take the plastic off. Anyway now to find a use for this. A sign sounds like a good idea.

Dee Gallo
07-26-2011, 8:10 AM
Interesting discovery, Rod! Did you use standard settings or go "light"?

cheers, dee

Rodne Gold
07-26-2011, 8:17 AM
I tried with very low settings , but just upped the power till it marked ok.

Michael Hunter
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Just tried it.
It did mark and the protective film came off whole, but the film had trapped the vapourised cap layer which then condensed near the engraving - it looked as if it would be even more difficult to clean up.
Worth a try though.

Scott Shepherd
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
It works a treat for vector marking. I've been doing it for a while now.

Khalid Nazim
11-08-2011, 1:24 PM
Can I leave the protective coating on if I have to cut the Rowmark after engraving?

Tony Lenkic
11-08-2011, 1:58 PM
Rodney,

If you have some of JDS Laserblack aluminum try it same way. It lasers darker black then removing protective film.
Discovered this by accident.